One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Monday, December 27, 2004

Annika, trying to figure it all out

Last night in the bathtub Annika asked me in a very serious tone, "Mommy, where is my life?" "hmmmm. Well, your life is right here with me and daddy and Frankie." "Noooo, mom. My life is right here," and she gestures to the scar that stretches all the way across her midsection in a rainbow arc. "It's in my tummy right next to my heart...Where my Special Powers are." OK, first off: why, oh why, does she ask me questions she already knows the answers to? And, second: huh? I tried a few follow-up questions to try to follow her reasoning, but she was finished with the subject. We've been reading a book about transplants lately, and I always explain that she had a transplant, too, and she got a new liver and it saved her life. Then I always show her her scar. Is that where this came from? Anyway, for the 2 of you out there that might be interested in seeing Anni and Frankie open presents, here you go! This movie is pretty short (and dark and not very well shot, but hey I don't actually have a real videocamera!), but you can at least get an idea.