One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Life pre-transplant

Last weekend was our much anticipated trip to go see Shelby, Riley, Jennifer, and Scott (a 2-hour drive). We got there to discover that Shelby was going to the ER to have her sudden fever checked out. A call from Jennifer a few hours later let us know that Shelby was being admitted for suspected cholangitis (an infection of the liver). And that's life pre-transplant. One minute things are going fine, and 2 hours later you're in the hospital watching your child get an IV. It really messes with your head, the whole never being able to truly relax. It turns out that Shelby's liver has been doing really much better than I think anyone expected--she's made it to 2 staying relatively healthy without a transplant, despite the fact that her liver and spleen are huge with the ongoing damage to her liver. On the other hand, her liver problems have caused her to develop osteoporosis, and I can feel Jen's stress everytime she watches Shelby run to a playground. So Shelby's going home on some hard-core IV antibiotics, and we're all hoping that the cholangitis goes away and doesn't damage her already beleaguered liver. Riley and Annika still had a great time playing together, although Anni kept asking me where Shelby was, despite the fact that she knew the answer. I always answered matter-of-factly that Shelby was sick and needed to go to the hospital to get better because, you know, saying something like this to Anni doesn't freak her out. It's the life she's always known. I forgot, however, that this is all still relatively new to Riley, and that this news might be hard for her to understand. This fact hit me when Jen asked me on the phone (she called from the hospital) whether or not Scott had explained the situation to Riley yet, and I had to admit that I had told Anni over lunch in front of Riley. Sorry, Jennifer... Perhaps Riley seeing Anni's calm reaction to the news helped her to be calm, too. I hope, anyway.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moreena,

You made me smile again. You've been down this road and its so nice to have you as a friend. I love reading your posts on this page. We survived our first dose of IV antiobiotics at home. Only 29 more to go! By the way, Riley is fine, too. Tonight we had a bit of "my-parents-are-back-full-time-lets-see-how-much-I-can-push-them," but that's to be expected. Thanks for your concern.
Love,
Jenn

12/02/2004 11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moreena,

I have really enjoyed reading your posts here. You always put everything down...exactly as I would like to express it!

Your daughters are beautiful!! I hope you all have a Merry and Wonderful Holiday Season!

Laurie, Mommy to Anthony (from CLASS)
www.caringbridge.org/la/anthony
mommy_laurie@hotmail.com

12/03/2004 1:16 PM  
Blogger Moreena said...

Holy Smokes! Two comments!! Thanks, Laurie and Jennifer! I am ridiculously pleased by seeing comments, I have to admit. Back to working on Christmas cards--I have way too many photos to choose from. Yes, someday I will update that silly photo album.
-Moreena

12/03/2004 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home