One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Monday, February 28, 2005

the hidden gem in this post: "Crisco chic"

Back home again, after a fun-filled weekend away visiting Riley and Shelby (and Jennifer and Scott, too). The girls both came home thrumming with excitement, and Frankie had to take a 4-hour nap today to regain her equilibrium, while Annika mainly lounged about on the sofa negotiating when our next trip might be ("How about if I take one more sleep before we go to Riley and Shelby's house again?"). This trip worked out particularly nicely since Frankie is now old enough to be a truly interactive human being, which meant that we are finally getting out of that awkward 3 kid dynamic that the Riley-Annika-Shelby trio sometimes created. Whenever tensions mounted, we could always just say, "Hey! What's Frankie doing over there?", and Frankie never minded being a walking diversionary tactic. As usual, Annika's favorite game at their house was dress-up, as the girls have an impressive collection of dresses, jewelry, gloves, and wigs. We got to see what Annika would look like with black hair, and I have to say that it is a good look for her. Riley dubbed her "Princess Maria Catia" (pronounced "Kuh-TEE-uh") and they spent quite a bit of time preparing their various appearances at the ball and their weddings and all that royal stuff, but in the end they just ended up dancing with each other to the Grease soundtrack. It's like watching my high school years all over again.

It seems that everyone I know who has just moved into a new house has already done more decorating than we have. Jennifer and Scott are no exception, with their rooms all painted cool colors and wonderful photo collages framed and hung. And I have already decided that they have to accompany us when we finally replace our furniture. They have this chair that is just wonderful beyond words. It's one of those chairs that feels great in any sitting position that you might care to assume. It's one of those chairs that you can sit in with 3 kids piled on top of you, and somehow you're all 3 comfortable. It's one of those chairs that can keep you sitting and chatting long after you should have gone to bed, until you finally have to say, "I'm so tired that I'm nauseous." I can tell you (and so can Jennifer and Scott) that that is a real conversation stopper. I've got the mad social skills. Jennifer, if she doesn't mind me going on and on here, has created a household environment that ought to be featured on one of those bad-ass boot camp reorganize your home reality shows. Or else maybe a commercial for lidded plastic bins. One of the two, though, for sure. Seriously, every single thing in that house had a bin, a labelled bin, where it belonged. It was a stunning model of organization and efficiency. On Sunday Riley decided that she wanted to put on some lip balm, and she brought me right to the closet and pointed to the exact bin among the 20 or so bins on the shelves where her lip balm was to be found. I was trying to imagine this same scenario playing out in my house with Annika. Anni: Mom, I want to have some lipstick. Me: No, we're going out in public in a bit and you know that you always get a bit carried away... Anni: No, I mean MY lipstick. Me: Oh, that lip balm? Sure... Anni: Where is it, Mom? Me: I don't know. Where did you put it? Anni (trying hard to look like she is thinking, although we both know that she has absolutely no more clue than I do): I think I put it in a very special place. Me: A very special place? Where is that very special place? Anni: It's the most special place... Me: Can you get any more specific? Anni: There is a very special place upstairs. In my play room. Me (picturing the pile of toys on the floor up there, all of which could be concealing the very special place): I have a great idea! Let's get some new lip stuff! (opening tin of Crisco) It's very punk rock. OK, I haven't really smeared Crisco on my daughter's face. Not yet, at least. But I can safely say we need more plastic bins in our lives. With labels.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jenn said...

O.k., here I am again, cracking up! We had a great weekend with you girls. You know what's great about that chair? Seeing you in it. I don't think when we've been together before I've actually seen you sit and relax. You know, its funny you see me as so organized because I'm constantly thinking "how can I organize this just a bit better?" Maybe I need to sit in that chair and relax. I love the pictures you included in your blog!

3/01/2005 7:31 AM  
Blogger none said...

What beautiful pictures!

3/01/2005 3:47 PM  
Blogger NeoTheAwakeninging said...

=DDDDD The most special place =DD OH man that was funny.

3/09/2005 10:54 PM  
Blogger MOMO said...

牙醫,植牙,矯正,矯正牙齒,皮膚科,痘痘,中醫,飛梭雷射,毛孔粗大,醫學美容,痘痘,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,網路行銷,自然排序,關鍵字行銷seo,部落格行銷,網路行銷,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,部落格行銷,網路行銷,牛舌餅婚紗台中婚紗,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭

12/11/2009 10:26 PM  
Blogger MOMO said...

高雄婚紗,街舞,小產,雞精,性感,辣妹,雷射溶脂,雙下巴,抽脂,瘦小腹,微晶瓷,電波拉皮,淨膚雷射,清潔公司,居家清潔,牙周病,牙齒矯正,植牙,牙周病,矯正,植牙

12/11/2009 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home