One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Sunday, February 13, 2005

we're getting edgier all the time around here

Kim Possible has finally been replaced in my car c.d. player, and not a moment too soon. Annika finally has all the words to her favorite songs memorized; I don't even want to think about how many repetitions occurred before she finally got them all down, including the "clearing throat" sounds on the Naked Mole Rap. So who finally succeeded in ousting K.P. and her crime-fighting pals after all these months? The blessed Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders. Now that's what I'm talking about! Annika has entered her Bizarro World phase of childhood--the one in which she insists that she does not want ("no sir! not me! no way!" is the catch phrase) what we all know she actually does want (going to the park to play, for instance). And the converse, that she does want what we all know she does not want (going upstairs for a time-out, for instance). If this is some sort of ingenious plot designed to drive mommy absolutely bonkers, then it is working like a charm. Joerg and I have simply taken to not questioning her pronouncements, and simply following through on them (not going to the zoo, for instance) hoping that this would call a halt to the whole experiment on her part. Evidently, she feels that she needs a larger sample in order to draw any accurate conclusions. On the up side, you will soon be able to pick me out of any crowd. I'll be the one with ragged patches of hair missing where I have tugged a bit too hard in sheer exasperation. This week I dressed Frankie in her red velvet overalls, so soft I want to cuddle cuddle cuddle with them, even without the cute cuddly baby in them. Alas, they are size 12 months, and way too small for her. Still, I had her wear them all day in one last wistful moment. Sure, there is the wistfulness of seeing my baby growing up, but what I was really getting all teary about was the fact that she would never again be able to wear that ace outfit. The fact of the matter is that I think I actually want to wear my kids clothes. This would be really weird if my kids wore frilly little-kid stuff, but for the most part their fashion statements are much more cutting-edge than mine at this point. Witness Annika's recent Valentine's Day Party get-up: OK, maybe it's still a little weird, but seriously, those tights? Who wouldn't want to wear those?