One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Saturday, March 12, 2005

holding our (collective) breath

Annika was clearly working on a fever tonight at bedtime. She was only 101, though, not at the magical 101.5 that we call an "actual" fever, so we put her to bed and crossed our fingers and toes. We did arm her with a "throw-up bowl", though, just in case. This has never actually worked out in practice, but it reassures her to know that the stuff has an appropriate place to go if the urge should hit. She does like to be prepared. I hope we don't have yet another middle of the night drive to CHOI's E.R. There must be some biological reason to explain why illnesses always seem to sweep in with their greatest fury in the night-time hours. Feel free to enlighten me if you know.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

I think that would fall under the category of Murphy's Law. Not only "If something bad CAN happen it will", but "If something bad can happen at a really inconvenient time, it will." Of course, that will then lead you to the question...WHEN is it REALLY convenient for something bad to happen? Maybe it's just part of this crazy thing they call parenting...who knows!

I hope that you're still home tomorrow morning, and that this fever is kicked out soon!

3/12/2005 8:38 PM  
Blogger PPB said...

Um, maybe because it adds to the sense of adventure? You're on to something there, though. When I work at the hospital, I carry my little pager all afternoon. Nothing. I look at 40 year old magazines, I people watch. But exactly the minute I sit down to my crappy hospital cafeteria dinner, the pager starts buzzing and doesn't stop until about 6 in the morning. People just seem to be sick more at night. I do hope that this is one of those run of the mill, every kid gets 'em fevers that will go away in her sleep without any barfing or midnight hospital runs.

3/12/2005 9:35 PM  
Blogger ocelot said...

I think the nighttime thing is because the body's mentally and physically weak and vulnerable from the day's consciousness. We only stay awake for 14 hours or so because that's what we can generally take before needing to collapse and recharge with sleep. So nighttime is the time when we're depleated and weak. I lot of people feel pretty positive in the mornings, but their thoughts can become clouded and dark late at night for similar reasons... the brain needs rest and rejuvination too.

3/13/2005 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home