One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Thursday, March 24, 2005

It's Yoguriffic Around Here

Today I did a little solo shopping (aaaahhhhh, what a feeling). When I returned home, Frankie screamed a little mommy scream (sounds like "Ma-Mia!!!" in case you were wondering) while doing a little stomping dance. But it was Annika who stopped me in my tracks with her enthusiastic greeting: "Fuckaroo!!!" I looked at my mom, who had been entrusted with the delicate minds of my two kids for the past 2 hours. You must understand that my mom is not even the type of woman who would utter "butt" aloud, and then you will understand my mom's mortal embarrassment at Annika's new cheer. "Fuckaroo! Fuckaroo! Fuckaroo!" A bit of probing, amidst helpless giggling from me, revealed the answer to all our questions. And there was more... We are great believers in the power of yogurt around here, with all its lovely, wiggly live cultures. "See?" I said to my mom this morning, "Frankie's already a yogurt girl like Annika!" "Yes," Annika added solemnly, "She's Yoguriffic." Naturally, after mom and I laughed a good laugh at that, we were treated to all its endless variations for the rest of the morning. Frankie needs a clean diaper? "She's diaperiffic!" Frankie's grumpy? "She's grumperiffic!" And so on...

6 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Your two kids sound like a riot. Isn't it great when they start playing with words?

3/24/2005 11:04 PM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

When Older Daughter was about 15 months old, she talked and talked and talked. Sounded like a little adult. Someone honked at us to get out of the way in a mall parking lot, and sweet, friendly, adorable little pumpkin looks up and says, "Aaaah...lighten up, ya' old BATTLE AXE!"...I coulda died.

3/25/2005 8:06 AM  
Blogger Moreena said...

Oh, yes. I don't know why people get all up in arms about all the blogs recording those daily moments of Kid Genius. I was recently reading a review of Ian McEwan's new book, and he was recounting how he tried to write what the character of the elderly mother, suffering from some degenerative cognitive disorder, said. In the end, he resorted to notes he had made of his own mother ramblings, saying that he needed to transcribe her to get "the precise magical nonsense of her sentences."

3/25/2005 11:56 AM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Now I'd like to go out and discover a new continent or something, so I can name it Fuckaroo.

You guys are diaperiffic.

3/25/2005 7:39 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/25/2005 7:39 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/25/2005 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home