One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Thursday, March 17, 2005

mostly better

Annika is home--on probation. We had to go have labs drawn today to make sure that her electrolytes were still improving, even without the I.V. supplementation. Anni had been on lab draws every 4 hours at one point in the hospital, and these were not pleasant blood draws. They were great believers in the use of numbing cream, but they used a different brand than we usually use, and they didn't use as much of it. The net result was that the draws were painful, especially as her veins were all shot from so much poking, and when the nurse came to put on the cream, she simply freaked out and had a whole 45 minutes to contemplate that something painful was about to happen. Not pretty when you're 4 and have an imagination on overdrive anyway. This hospital is also the only one we've ever been in that leaves blood draw duty to the nurses, which I think is a terrible practice. The nurses at this particular hospital already seem to be way overbooked (judging from the response lag time when the call button is hit). Now add doing blood draws on all their patients on to that, and the result is not good. The phlebotomists and lab techs just do a much better at finding the veins on the first poke (and you can quote me, Angela Marie). So I was expecting a bit of a fight today when I told Annika we needed to go for a blood draw. I was quick to assure her that we were going to see our friends at our usual lab before she could register any protest, and, amazingly, she came along quite happily. The familiar is definitely reassuring. On the downside, Frankie now has the Rota curse. She woke up this morning in a pool of puke and poo with a raging fever and little cry designed to break your heart. Sweet little baby that she is, though, she managed (somehow) to only get the aforementioned puke and poo on herself and her crib sheet--completely missing the hard-to-clean items in the crib with her, such as the blanket and assorted small, stuffed, night cuddlies. Wow. I'm telling you, she even knows how to get sick in the easiest, most agreeable manner.

8 Comments:

Blogger angela marie said...

I'm so glad Annika is getting better and sorry about 'the pukes' coming to your home too.

Geez, when it rains it pours.

(yay for lab staff on the blood draws!) :)

3/17/2005 9:13 PM  
Blogger Sarahlynn said...

You have my utmost sympathy. How do you keep your sanity?!

3/17/2005 9:43 PM  
Blogger ocelot said...

Arg! Agonizing experience, but so glad to hear Annika is home. Curse the rota for hitting up Frankie too.

I seem to be hearing pretty commonly that the 2nd kiddo is a bit easier the the first. I wonder if it might be a nature thingy so as to preserve the subsequent offspring(s) from being left on the curb side or a nurture thingy resulting from a lack of priority doting.

We've pretty much ruled out a secondary unit at this point, which is awfully sad, but even the thought of it puts us a step into the grave.

Just to ease any lingering doubt... Google comments truly suck. So does publishing/editing google blogs actually. Grr.

I'm curious if you are purposely omitting the atom.xml feed for your blog. I haven't figured out a way to add you to my aggregator without it. Must aggregate!

3/17/2005 10:56 PM  
Blogger Moreena said...

Nope, I haven't left it out on purpose. Just never thought anyone would actually want to make use of it. I really am working on adding HaloScan commenting, but I want to save my old blogger comments first. How sick is that? Yes, very.

3/17/2005 11:01 PM  
Blogger Moreena said...

OK, Ocelot... Just for you, I've added a site feed. How exciting!

3/17/2005 11:09 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

I am so impressed by your equanimity. How do you do it? I think if I had to write about the things you're experiencing there would be a lot of capital letters and shift-number keys in use. Your children are very lucky to have a mom like you. Good luck getting them both healthy again.

3/18/2005 12:25 AM  
Blogger ocelot said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/18/2005 5:19 PM  
Blogger ocelot said...

w00t! many thanks! i've got you in my My Yahoo! now.

FWIW, the comments loaded quickly today. w00t!'s all around!

I'd totally want to save my comments before switching. And that'd probably be enough work that I wouldn't switch.

3/18/2005 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home