One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Point of Pride

Anni's having trouble taking her meds. She takes all her medicine in capsule form, which is not usually a problem, but her gag reflex is, naturally, heightened right now. So this morning she wanted some yogurt to help her swallow the bigger pills. Yes, I could have asked patient food service to send it, but that would have taken several hours (I do not exaggerate), so I just ran to the visitor cafeteria to buy some. That, and some coffee to get me through the day on the 2 hours of sleep I got last night in 30-minute increments. The residents began making rounds as I left, and when I returned I found Anni regaling two (incredibly young! oy! Doogie Howser is beginning to look less far-fetched every day) residents with whatever tales she tells to total strangers. As I walked through the door, this is what I heard: "My mommy ALWAYS poops in the potty!" The doctors turned to look at me, frozen right there by the room's bathroom entrance. "What can I say?" I replied raising my arms in a victory salute, "I'm good with poop!" So Annika spiked fevers again all last night, and she was pooping on average of once every hour, even through the night. Her electrolytes are still slipping, despite getting replacements through her I.V., so they are considering giving her a dose of IVIG. That should effectively stop the rota in its tracks, but it's kind of a big gun to bring out for a case of simple rotavirus. Annika is already sick of being in the hospital. I thought her heart was going to break when I left and took Frankie with me. She just wanted to come home, too. Last night she turned her tired little face to me and said, "I'm homesick. I want to be with Daddy and Frankie." I know she'll be home soon, though.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarahlynn said...

It just seems so unfair that after all the trauma, the ordeal isn't over. After surgery - POOF! - the kids should just magically be back to perfect health.

3/16/2005 9:27 AM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Hoping to make you laugh with a Doogie Howser anecdote.

My extremely young-looking husband got the nickname "Doogie Howser" during his medical intership. He was even down on the call schedule as such, and would get paged within the hospital as "Doogie Howser." Once he got called to the room of a schizophrenic patient who was watching Doogie Howser on TV. The man was convinced that my husband was the "REAL" Doogie Howser there in the flesh to treat him.

Hoping that the rotavirus is sent on its way and Annika, Frankie, and you two marvellous parents are all recovered and rested soon!

3/17/2005 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home