One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

and here we go again

Annika is sick again, but we are still home for the time being. Hooray! Her fevers are pretty much non-stop, and impressively high, as usual. But negative for flu, strep, and UTI. So we're just pumping the ibuprofen. Still, she amuses me no end. As we were waiting for her turn at the lab for a blood draw, she snuggled into my lap and asked if we could change the T.V. channel to something more interesting. Again, though, there was a woman in the waiting room evidently engrossed in whatever was going on up there on the screen, so I told her "no." It turns out that this woman was watching an infomercial for a mini steam-cleaner. Soon, Annika was caught up in the excitement, too. She turned to me with glittering eyes, "You need to buy that, mommy!" "Oh, really? Why?" "Because it sparkles the house!" I guess our house is not quite sparkly enough, despite the glitter we're still finding about from a certain recent birthday celebration. After the blood draw, which she did like a champ (and also peed in the cup for me, I might note), we went to the gift shop to pick up a little beanie baby, which I sometimes do after her blood draws. Always good to keep her excited about going, I figure. She flew straight past all the snuggly kitties, dogs, baby ducks, and bears to choose a llama. And she was really very excited to find a llama, too. She wasn't just choosing it for the weirdness factor, although that might have had something to do with it. Frankie, a good sport, was OK with only Annika getting a toy, which was excellent. Maybe she's already figuring out the kind of bullets she's dodging around our household. Later, back at home, the ibuprofen started wearing off and Annika started moaning and crying a bit here and there. I told her that she still had 15 minutes left before she could have another dose (because of her possible bleeding issues, I do take the dosage times seriously). Frankie looked confused, and perhaps a bit concerned that her sister was so upset. A few minutes later, she had found her sister's llama and toddled over to offer it to her in her very first show of sympathetic solidarity with her big sis. Annika accepted it with the proper amount of gratefulness and solemnity that the moment demanded. She would have given her a kiss, but Anni has become quite concerned about "sharing her germs," so a big "thank you" was all Frankie got. Frankie was all smiles, and said "Dink Doo!" right back to her.

Still, we had one amazing weekend before the fevers struck. We spent nearly all our waking hours outside, celebrating the fantastic weather. The lawn has been mowed, the dead growth from the garden has been removed, and the forsythia is beginning to bloom. Annika spent hours in her sandbox, and has hatched a plan wherein I bury pennies and nickels in the sand so that she and Frankie can have fun all summer digging for buried treasure. She's all about the pirating right now. I also cleaned out the bicycle trailer, but discovered that my rear bike tire was not just flat, but punctured. Anni was very disappointed not to get to take a bike ride after the trailer was finally clean, but instead decided that this is the year she is going to ride a bicycle herself. This despite the fact that she hasn't even mastered her tricycle yet. Of course, I think the tricycle problem is simply that it is a poorly designed vehicle for a child with an enlarged abdomen, and it is just too hard for her to get comfortable on it. Anyway, to indulge this new whim a bit we went to check out bikes during our weekend shopping trip. The girl who favors llamas over teddy bears chose this bike. Joerg thinks that it is hopelessly cheesy, but I challenged him to find one girl's bike among the row at Wal-Mart that isn't. (I know, I know, go to a proper bicycle store...I do think the chopper is fun, though)

7 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

For Annika's enjoyment, here are the lyrics to that Sesame Street classic, "Me and My Llama."

Annika has excellent taste, and Frankie is the sweetest. I hope Annika feels better soon!

4/05/2005 8:28 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Your kids are so precious!
Bless you for all your hard work, but even the tiny bits I've seen of Anni, she's totally worth it.

4/05/2005 8:51 PM  
Blogger Moreena said...

Wow! Those llama lyrics are great. I'm going to have to track that down. We have a couple of Sesame Street music compilations, but we don't have that one. Thanks!

And thank you, Jay. She definitely is.

4/05/2005 9:26 PM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Every little girl needs a cheesy pink or purple bike with all the goopy stuff on it! Your kids sound great!

4/06/2005 9:42 AM  
Blogger PPB said...

Dink Doo.
I love it! I do hope that her fever goes down, down, down dooby doo down, down.

4/06/2005 3:02 PM  
Blogger ocelot said...

OMG! That bike so totally rawks! How cool to have a Harley Softail!

Frankie, the llama-bearing lil' sis totally rawks too!

Get well soon, Annika!

4/06/2005 10:17 PM  
Blogger Sarahlynn said...

I do so love your blog. And, oddly enough, it makes me want to hurry up and have a second child. I still hate gardening, though.

4/10/2005 12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home