One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

the character trait that Joerg thought of when he promised the "for worse" part

There is way too much to be done around here before we leave. But being on top of things has never really worked out for me. Yesterday Annika cut her hand somehow. She was playing with Frankie and the next thing I know, she runs to me bleeding like crazy. The last I checked, Frankie didn't have any sharp edges and this was clearly not a bite wound (no, Frankie doesn't actually bite), and Annika seemed unsure how she had done it herself. We just had to let the mystery be, though, as Annika was squirting blood everywhere. Mainly all over her shirt. Anni's current liver/spleen problems mean that her blood doesn't clot as quickly as it should, but this was the first real squirter I had ever seen. So we held pressure for a while, and then cleaned it up and applied the magic band-aid (ultimate cure-all for many of childhood's mishaps). I decided to be responsible and get Anni's shirt cleaned up right away, rather than leaving it for the next laundry day, by which time the stain would be indelible. A few minutes later, I draped the shockingly clean shirt over the kitchen sink to dry a bit before moving it to the laundry room. I was feeling quite virtuous. An hour later we were headed out the door, and I went to the sink to replace the water in Anni's cup. Except that it wasn't water in the cup: it was chocolate soy milk, which splashed all over the freshly de-stained shirt. Chocolate soy milk is nearly as hard to get out as blood. I don't know if it's the chocolate or the soy, but my girls have lots of brown polka-dotted clothes. Unwilling to accept the undoing of my virtuous laundry deed, I set about removing the chocolate soy milk. Water alone wasn't cutting it, so I reached for the nearest soap-like stuff, which happened to be some neon green Palmolive dish soap (neon green? why, oh why?). The chocolate soy milk came right out, only to be replaced by a neon green stain from the Palmolive. So you see why I am still content to think about what I should pack for a few days more rather than actually trying to stay on top of it all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

It's amazing how much uncontrolled liquid is involved in raising kids, isn't it? When my kids were young my wife or I would just have to say "sorcerer's apprentice," and the other one would know exactly what was going on.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip to Germany.

4/27/2005 8:00 AM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Laughing out loud, Moreena. And tipping my hat to you for your grace and competence with staining bodily fluids.

Have a great non-staining trip!

4/27/2005 8:48 AM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Yikes. Motherhood is all about the liquids, isn't it?

4/27/2005 11:17 AM  
Blogger PPB said...

oh my.
tie dye?

4/27/2005 8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home