One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Monday, June 06, 2005

she's prancing through a field of wildflowers

Tonight Annika looked at me dreamily and sighed, "I want to fall in love." Ah, we are entering a romantic phase. I suspect she has watched Shrek a few too many times. We took no movies with us to Berlin, thinking that there would be no time for such things in our busy days. And we were right. But the only problem with this utopian scenario was that Annika really needs something to help her settle down sometimes. Something to lure her into sitting still and quiet for a nice long spell. Children are not built for non-stop stimulation. Reading will do the trick, and oh boy we read like crazy for the first two weeks or so. But when Norma offered to loan us Shrek for the remaining 10 days, I jumped at the offer, my sorely overused vocal cords barely able to eek out a "Thank You." And the girls, mainly Annika, watched that movie. Repeatedly. Anni began memorizing lines, and throwing them back at me. So that one day when I asked Anni to sit down now, she nodded her head at me and replied, "As you command, your highness." (I may have misquoted that slightly. I didn't watch the movie as many times as Annika. But I appreciated the sentiment.) And whenever Annika began feeling a bit upset or stressed, she would shout, "I'm a donkey on the head!" (Actually that line was, "I'm a donkey on the edge!" But I liked her version better.) Even Frankie would pop into the bedroom where we had set up the computer to watch for a bit. She would lean her elbows back, crossing her ankles as she propped herself against the bed, in a chubby-thighed James Dean pose. Frankie's favorite part was when the dragon appeared, and she had little use for the rest of the film. As with most movies, the music quickly became the most important part of the experience. So I've gotten the girls the soundtrack to listen to while we're in the car or splashing in the wading pool outside. Frankie's favorite song is "I'm on My Way" from The Proclaimers ("More uh-huh!" she begs, and we always give in.) Annika's absolute favorite song is Rufus Wainwright's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah." Definitely a romantic phase. (although I do suspect that it has more to do with the lovely tune and the song's relatively high Dora score)

7 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

LG says, "I'm a flyin' talkin' donkey!"

And the ever-popular "Thank you! I'll be here all week."

6/07/2005 12:00 PM  
Blogger trisha said...

I want you to write a book. I really need you to.

6/07/2005 12:47 PM  
Blogger liz said...

MM's not to into Shrek yet but BOY do we ever know our Aladdin.

You ain't heard nothing till you hear a 3 year old boy warbling the princess's part of A Whole New World.

6/07/2005 2:16 PM  
Blogger Moreena said...

Oh boy. I think that one of the best things about kids watching TV is the way they appropriate the phrases, for better and worse. And, of course, Liz - the singing. It is too wonderful.

Trisha, you are so funny. I can barely keep it coherent with just these short little entries. A book is way out of my league, but maybe a collaboration on parent hospital survival might be in order some day, in order to be useful. So you've got yours started, right?

6/07/2005 4:03 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Ahh Shrek, I think we all had the dream of meeting our prince chariming when we were kids.

6/07/2005 10:36 PM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

I have always said, since Older Daughter was a tyke, "their little brains need to rest." We were always on the go, and once in a while I'd just pull her into her room, pull the shades down, and we'd sit. We'd play, "who can keep quiet the longest?" It wasn't til Younger Daughter came along that I learned the beauty of the movie-babysitter.

6/08/2005 10:42 AM  
Blogger trisha said...

Thanks for the link to Corndog!

6/09/2005 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home