One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Monday, June 27, 2005

when you marry a logician

We are all sick around here. Ugh. But on the way home from the pediatrician's office Annika reminded me of one of my favorite Jörg-Annika interactions. (Yes! I'm using real umlauts now! For a truly international feel.) A few weeks ago we were driving back from Chicago. Jörg was listening to Robert Earl Keen on the front speakers, Frankie was snoozing, and Annika, having tired of her LeapPad and books, was into a rousing game of "I Spy" with me. If you have never driven south from Chicago on I-55, you are certainly missing out on the astounding monotony of the middle of the U.S. Annika mostly enjoys playing "I Spy" with objects outside of the car, though, which means that you are seriously limited in your choice of targets. Having bored of the game, but not quite ready to give it up just yet, Annika took to always guessing, no matter what clue I gave, "It's the grass! OK, my turn!" And then she would give her own clue, ignoring any protest I might care to give that, actually, no it wasn't the grass. Truthfully, there wasn't much protest, as I was much too tired and, frankly, happy that I didn't have to expend the mental energy to locate an object when it was my turn to give a clue. Jörg, though, has a well-developed sense of order, and I noticed him shifting uncomfortably in his seat when Annika announced for the 15th time, "It's grass! OK, my turn!" when the clue given was something like "I spy with my little eye something purple." Finally, Jörg intervened with, "My turn! I spy with my little eye something that is not grass." Dead silence from the back seat. For several long moments. And, then, the grace to admit defeat: "Is it that orange sign?"

9 Comments:

Blogger Amanda M said...

Pretty spiffy umlauts! Congrats. Also, thx for the alt country music ref...good stuff. And way to go Annika...keeping up with her dad ;)

6/27/2005 11:19 PM  
Blogger liz said...

I love this story. It's so very, very preschool.

6/28/2005 12:39 AM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

This is a great story! I love that kid!

6/28/2005 11:31 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Cute story!

6/28/2005 3:43 PM  
Blogger PPB said...

Oh, so missing I-55~

6/29/2005 11:00 AM  
Blogger Rory Kearn said...

What a great story! It makes me miss the times when my kids were little and loved that game.

6/29/2005 11:34 PM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

I well remember playing that game on roadtrips to Chicago. Too funny.

6/30/2005 2:31 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Hilarious. And yes, the 55 drive is dull. Not Kansas dull. OK, maybe it is. Fun games, good times. We're into license plate reading now--gotta do something!

7/08/2005 9:13 AM  
Blogger jon said...

book school year are so expensive. I agree, We have been looking for book school year all night for a new book school year class but havent been able to track down used book school year that I can afford. Anyway, I enjoyed looking at you book school year blog...

jon

10/02/2005 12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home