One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Grandma the Ogre

Just a few days away from the computer, and the world, known through my internet connection, keeps moving on. I have much to catch up on over there on the sidebar, but at least one big event I have finally caught wind of. Havalah, one of my liver kid links, received a liver this week, but has already suffered a post-transplant complication, which may cause her to need an immediate retransplant. This complication, hepatic artery thrombosis, is the same one that Annika suffered after her first transplant. My thoughts are with her and her family, and I know prayers would be appreciated, too. You might also leave an encouraging message at her guestbook. It's always nice to know that even strangers are pulling for your child to make it through a rough time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've been inflating helium balloons like a madwoman for our organ donor awareness event at the county fair. We went through nearly 1,000 of them on the first day, and most of the fair-goers were sporting the neon-green organ donor awareness reminderbands we were giving away. It's been a lot of work, but I'm hoping for a lot of payoff, as well. If we could increase to 100% the number of people willing to donate their organs at the time of death, so many lives could be saved.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jörg is in Edinburgh in Scotland giving a paper right now. I'm a tad jealous that this is the second time in our marriage that he's gone off to my favorite European city without me. Oh, well. He missed Annika's face during this episode: My mom and dad are here to help out with the girls while I run the booth at the fair, but I have been taking the girls around when I have a chance. Yesterday, Annika and I spent two hours wandering around the animals. This year they have baby chicks on display, although you are not allowed to pet them. However, it turns out that the woman in charge of the chicks display works at the university and so knows Anni, and so she got one of the chicks out for Annika to touch. This was, by far, the high point of the day for her. When she got home, she was eager to tell all her adventures to her grandma. Now, my mom was raised on a farm, and she realized that here was her opportunity to tell tales from her childhood to an eagerly receptive audience. Since Annika was excited about the chicks, she began there: "When I was a little girl, we would go once a year and buy ourselves 100 or even 200 chickens. We had a little house for them, and we took care of them." "That's a lot of chickens. Grandma, why did you buy so many?" "Well, we collected their eggs and sold them. And we also ate quite a few of the chickens." At the word, "ate", Annika's hands flew to her mouth and she sucked in her breath so hard there was a little whistling sound. Her eyes got rounder and huger than I have ever seen them before. Which was when we all realized that Annika had somehow not connected the word "chicken" to describe her nuggets, and "chicken" to describe the animals she adores. We'll see if a new era of vegetarianism ensues.

12 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Tooo cute. I can see her little face right now.

8/05/2005 12:04 PM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

I can still remember the first time I figured out that the fish we ate and the fish we saw swimming were the same thing ....

8/05/2005 5:51 PM  
Blogger PPB said...

yikes, poor anni.
prepare yourselves for lots of mac and cheese.

8/05/2005 7:03 PM  
Blogger liz said...

My friend Amanda found out the connection between lamb (meat) and lamb (animal) in kindergarten and has been a vegetarian ever since. Never affected anyone else I knew though.

8/05/2005 9:04 PM  
Blogger Heartmom said...

The same thing (well not exactly) happend with my oldest daughter when she found out that those cute little animals that say "Moo" were also her favorite McDonalds meal topped with cheese.

She didnt give up the beef ;)

Hope you are having a grand day! :)
-MitoMom

8/06/2005 8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/06/2005 5:57 PM  
Anonymous Running2Ks said...

She is a very sweet little girl!

8/07/2005 11:47 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Two images popped into my head on reading this:

1. My grandmother explaining, very unsentimentally and fairly graphically, the origins of the phrase "running around like a chicken with its head cut off."

2. Playing horsie with my nephew. I could hear him making shooting noises, so I craned my head around to see him, fingers cocked, miming shooting all around us. When I asked him what he was doing, he said, "I'm a cowboy, so I'm shooting all the cows."

Thank god he's not going into agriculture.

8/08/2005 12:58 PM  
Blogger Moreena said...

UPDDATE: so she declared that she was not eating any more chicken, but evidently that declaration does not apply to McDonald's McNuggets, which she was asking for again by the next day. However, the new rule around here is fast food only once a month, so she may turn into a near-vegetarian. I've got to get her into beans or tofu quickly.

Mike: shooting the cows!! Hilarious.

8/08/2005 1:38 PM  
Blogger Moreena said...

It's always good to put your typos in all capital letters, so they're sure to be noticed.

8/08/2005 1:40 PM  
Blogger ocelot said...

Ha! Priceless moment!

I posted over at Havalah's... thanks for the pointer. Best wishes to her!

8/08/2005 3:22 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Poor Anni! Cute story, though!! And anyway, I'm betting that it's not REAL chicken in the McNuggets. I could be wrong, but it's just this *feeling* I get.

8/09/2005 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home