One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Friday, August 12, 2005

I will be up late again tonight

so maybe I will catch up on my email. But the actual reason I anticipate little sleep is that Annika is having horrendous tummy pain tonight. The crying out, doubled-over kind of pain. It's times like these that Jörg and I glance at one another, wondering if we should take her to the hospital or wait it out. After about 30 minutes, she fell back asleep again, and so we're hoping it's just a little viral thing. Annika's biopsy is scheduled for this Monday morning, although she has to be admitted to the hospital early Sunday evening to get her prepped and ready to go (for any liver parents/medical types out there -- she's not having a percutaneous biopsy, which would be a 1-day in and out thing, but rather needs general anesthesia in IR for a transjugular). However, if she has some sort of illness, anesthesia will not approve her (they don't take the risk unless it's an emergency procedure), and we'll have to reschedule. This, however, is the last weekend that Jörg will be available to either stay with Frankie or go with Annika. And this after the following scene played out today: I take a cranky and tired Frankie upstairs to nurse, rock, and settle down for a nap. The phone rings. I hear Anni dragging a chair over to answer the phone. I hope the caller on the other end fully understands that a 4-year-old is not capable of accurately relaying a message. Remind myself to work with Annika on letting the answering machine pick up. Five minutes later, I am surprised when Annika shows up by the rocker just as Frankie was beginning to drift off. Frankie starts to cry at the sound of Annika's voice. Anni: "Mama! There is a person on the telephone. There is a person talking from the hospital. That person is really making me angry! I am really upset about the person on the phone. That person keeps saying my name and I am really upset about that." Anni is usually very good about entertaining herself while I put Frankie to sleep, and it would take a lot for her to come upstairs, knowing she would likely wake up Frankie, ever alert for the sound of her beloved sister's voice. So I knew that I had better check the situation out. I rushed down the stairs, and place a wailing Frankie down in a chair in the living room so I will be able to hear the phone. Me: "Hello?" Hospital Woman: "Hello? So she's not there alone? Thank God! I'm calling from Children's Memorial in Chicago." Me: "Of course she's not home alone. I was just upstairs putting the baby to sleep." (Pause here so that the woman can undoubtedly hear Frankie's indignant caterwauling.) Hospital Woman: "Oh, I'm sorry. But you know I do sometimes call homes where that happens. And she just kept telling me to call you back. I wasn't sure there was actually an adult there with her." (Me thinking, "Wow! Annika was actually being quite phone-mature.") Hospital Woman: "Anyway, I just have some questions for you before her procedure on Monday." (Me thinking, "OK, but you are the third person to call us with these questions, you know.") Me: "OK, go ahead." And then I go through, again, the list of all her allergies and medications and current health status. She puts me on hold once, and I run to pick up Frankie, hoping that will stop the heartbreaking sound of her confused crying ("Hey! I was going to sleep? Is nothing sacred?"). Fully ten minutes later we reach this point in the conversation: Hospital Woman: "OK. Let me give you your instructions for the day of the procedure. You need to arrive at the hospital Monday morning..." Me (interrupting): "No. She's being admitted Sunday evening. She needs to be given FFP through an IV before the procedure." Hospital Woman: "Oh. Well, then. I guess I didn't need to go through all this with you. Terribly sorry." Me (shockingly placid): "OK, then. Goodbye." After hanging up the phone, it was clear that Frankie was no longer in the mood for a nap. So I sat down to figure out why Annika was so "angry" about this phone call, and it turns out that this woman was being really insistent that she come get me. Annika, I guess, kept telling her "No," because she didn't want to wake up Frankie, but the woman kept insisting, sending poor little Annika into a fit of nerves. Then add the fact that Anni is pretty pissed off about going to the hospital again in the first place, and I don't doubt that she was getting a bit emotional with Hospital Woman. All in all a fairly crappy experience for all involved, especially Annika. I can't really blame Hospital Woman, though. I'm glad she cares enough about kids to investigate the situation. Although I'm not quite sure why simply calling back 5 minutes later, as Anni reasonably suggested, wouldn't have done just as well. So call #3 to set up the upcoming biopsy, which may well be cancelled anyway. Oh, man. I'm two days too late for Wednesday Whining. It's all about the timing, isn't it?

9 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

Big hugs to you and Anni. I hope everything goes okay. I'm not sure if the Wednesday Whining is on for this week (PS is out of town), but I think you can submit this anyway for the next whine.

Oh! And the nasty lady on the phone? I'd bang a receiver down on her head.

8/12/2005 11:18 PM  
Anonymous Becca said...

We're inpatient right now! Oh, I hope hope hope that we'll get to meet you! By the way, the same scheduling lady was RUDE to Jason on the phone and called the Liver team to complain about US!

8/13/2005 11:51 AM  
Blogger Heartmom said...

I hate dealing with hospital people! Your daughter is in my prayers!
MitoMom
www.mitogirl.com

8/13/2005 12:54 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I have been waiting for an update! What a smart little girl Annika is. Prayers for her during her stay. Hope all goes well with the biopsy tomarow.

8/14/2005 12:27 PM  
Blogger Bettie Bookish said...

We are all thinking about Anni and you, and keeping you in prayers. Many, many hugs.

8/15/2005 9:18 AM  
Blogger Moreena said...

OK, Anni is in the hospital right now waiting to be taken down to interventional radiology for her biopsy. I'll post a longer update sometime today

liz, mitomom, sarah--thank you!
Becca--I emailed you (from CLASS).

8/15/2005 9:18 AM  
Anonymous Marisa said...

Oh Anni! I'm sorry that Hospital Woman wouldn't listen to you. I hope the rest of your day was OK though. How's your swimming going? I hear you and some other liver kdis are my little minnows. I can't wait to see you swim some day. Take Care sweet Anni.

8/15/2005 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope Anni does well today. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers....

Suzanne
www.specialneedsmom.com

8/15/2005 11:28 AM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I've not doubt the woman on the phone runs into a lot of bad situations, but how awful for her to be that way with your family--especially since you know so much more about even your medical scheduling than she does!

8/16/2005 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home