One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Friday, September 09, 2005

tentative plans

I don't have much time to update, as our friend Lauren is upstairs with Annika and she needs to head home before rush hour traffic begins. Annika had the scope on Wednesday. They found four huge varices (swollen blood vessels) in her esophagus. One of them was a "humungous honker," our senior attending doctors exact words. That varix was the likely source of bleeding, and Dr. Alonso said that it was probably just gushing blood on Friday night. The surgeon here, Dr. Superina, asked for another C.T. angiogram to be done to check out the state of Annika's blood vessels and clots before deciding what surgical action to take. We are hoping like hell that the clot has not moved into her liver, which would mean that no shunt in the world would do the trick. Meanwhile, he has asked that all of Annika's varices be banded before he schedules the surgery. Due to some difficulties encountered during the procedure on Wednesday, they were only able to band one varix (the largest one, at least). So we'll have to wait 2 weeks before the varix will have shrunk down enough to make another go at banding possible. Dr. Alonso thought that maybe we should stay here while waiting for the next scope and banding, but they decided after some discussion that she could go home. I'll carry a letter with treatment instructions around with me, in case she has another bleed while we're at home. Really, the treatment is not all that complex. Start an I.V., start giving blood, and hope that the bleed is not too bad. I'll post pictures of Anni's hospital stay shortly. We're all sick of it here already, though. There's no question we're going to be seeing a lot more of Chicago in the next few months, though. Finally, thank you for all the warm wishes, healthy thoughts, and prayers sent our way. It's been lovely sneaking down to the computer and reading all the lovely words sent Annika's (and our) way.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see this post! I have been worried about you all. Please give little Anni hugs and kisses from all her internet "friends" - there are alot of us out here praying for you guys.

I'm glad you will get to go home between procedures. Please keep us updated as you are able.

tina

9/09/2005 2:39 PM  
Blogger liz said...

What Tina said.

I'm keeping you all in my thoughts.

9/09/2005 3:11 PM  
Blogger Elle said...

We will be thinking of you all and praying.

9/09/2005 3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anni and all of you are always in my thoughts and prayers. I miss seeing you all and hope I can see you once again soon. If you need anything, like someone to watch the house and feed the cat, I am only a phone call away.

Lots of love and hope,
Maribeth

9/09/2005 6:13 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Moreena, more prayers and wishes for Anni and your family in this time of uncertainty. Any time you want to talk, you have my number. I'm not that far away when you are in Chicago.

9/09/2005 6:59 PM  
Blogger tabitha said...

I'm glad to see that Annika is feeling a little better and will be able to go home.We are always reading your updates and we will keep her and all of you in our prayers. logans mom

9/09/2005 7:25 PM  
Blogger Tara Marie said...

Moreena,,,,keeping sweet Annika in our thoughts and prayers.

Much love to you precious girl.

Hugs, Emma Sage and her Mommy

9/09/2005 9:42 PM  
Blogger Bettie Bookish said...

Moreena, is there anything that we who have been checking your blog many times daily for an update can do for Anni or you or Frankie or Joerge?

We cannot pop by Anni's room to give you all hugs and give you a chance to stretch your legs, get fresh air and coffee and check the computer.

What can we do?

9/09/2005 11:19 PM  
Anonymous Beanie Baby said...

Good luck to all of you.

I've been checking several times a day to see if there's any news--I'm so relieved to see one this morning.

I don't know the half of what you were talking about, it went right over my head--so I'll just sit here nodding sagely until further notice.

9/10/2005 7:31 AM  
Blogger Moreena said...

Bettie and Running2Ks,
Thank you so much for your kind offers of help. Really, we are doing pretty well, all considered. I did have to quit my teaching gig this semester, since we have no idea how long this all is going to take, but it clearly would interfere with my teaching as it will stretch over months, at least. So that frees up my time (with the obvious drawbacks, of course). We are also lucky enough to have great family support. And our insurance has been so much more cooperative than our previous insurance was. So I think our basic needs are covered. Now I am just going to have to work through the anxiety, which I categorize as on the level of luxury, given the situations that others are facing. It helps me just to get on here and let loose, you know.

Running2Ks, since you're in Chicago, maybe you would be willing to do a Target run if I discover that we forgot something that I really need?

Thanks again, everyone

9/10/2005 8:39 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Prayers for Annika. She is always in our hearts. Anna had a grand time visiting with Annika. It was so nice to see you guys and I hope we can do it again soon, hopefully out of the hospital this time!

9/10/2005 1:27 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Thinking about you and praying for you here, too. There are so many of us who would be thrilled to anything we could to help out. I mean, besides just listening. It's a given that we're all here to listen.

9/10/2005 2:06 PM  
Anonymous Rowan said...

I hadn't been here for a while. So I was surprised and saddened to see a post about you in Running2K's blog.

I have been sitting here reading the last 3 posts with tears streaming down my face. Having just moved to another state with a chronically ill child, I know how frightening it can be to be out of your normal hospital environment during an emergency. I just feel for you so much. I wish that I could be there to give you a big supportive hug.

I will be continuing to think of you and hoping that the clots have not moved too far. Do you know now how many bandings she'll need before sugery is possible?

I don't know much about liver issues, as Kajsa's concerns are with her kidney, so please excuse me if this sound like an obvious question...If the bandings are successful, is there a possibilty that she might not need surgery -- or that it might be able to be postponed for a time?

Again, You will all be in my heart as you go through this challenging time.

9/10/2005 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home