One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Monday, October 24, 2005

ah, my little cupcake

I admit I've been avoiding putting up a new entry. I just liked my last one so much that I enjoyed having it as my top post. I hate to move it on down the page until it disappears into the archives. I have been getting way too attached to things lately, though. I finally got around to shifting the girls' closet (they share just one) from summer to winter mode. All the clothes that Anni has outgrown get put into a box for Frankie, but Frankie's outgrown things are going the way of Goodwill (Unless there's anyone out there who could use some cute summer stuff: 12 mos-2T. Drop me a line, and I'll send it your way.) I hate to admit how sad I am at the thought that I'll never again see chubby little legs peeking out below the dress that my friend, Andrea, sewed for Frankie, or hear her little voice exclaim, "futtuhfie! caduhpidduh!" as she points to her chest while wearing her green-checked shirt. OK, I'll be keeping the dress, but I'm going to have to learn to let go if I want to have room for my car in the garage. Now here it is already one week past Anni's birthday, and I've yet to post any birthday pics. For shame. Of course, Annika was still fevering on her actual birthday, so we kept the celebration on the down low (I do love the urban dictionary. My own personal fountain of youth. If only they had some sort of reverse translation for geezer-speak, which I will surely need in the not-so-distant future). To celebrate turning 5, Annika decided to try her hand at swallowing inappropriate objects. This has always been our big concern for Frankie, because, of the two girls, Frankie definitely has the oral fixation in a big way. But, no, Annika was the first to take the plunge. Just before we left for the hospital, Annika came to me and said, "Mama, accidents happen." This is a not uncommonly heard phrase around our house, so I wasn't too concerned, given that there were no tears, screams, or blood in evidence. But Annika went on with, "Well, I'm afraid that I swallowed Frankie's chain." And, yes, she really does say, "I'm afraid..." Actually, she says it a lot, as in "I'm afraid that I really do like this yogurt" and "I'm afraid that I made a drawing for you in preschool today." But this time "I'm afraid..." actually seemed to be called for. It turns out that Annika stuck the chain extension from Frankie's Diddl necklace in her mouth (for safekeeping, of course) and then got distracted and, somehow, swallowed it. Honestly, she had been pretty jealous of that Diddl necklace ever since Frankie opened it on her birthday, but I'm not going to start analyzing all the possible psychological ramifications of this swallowing transgression. I was just thinking that her G.I. tract is in a delicate enough balance without sending Diddl necklace chains through it, for goodness' sake. Jumping mouse, indeed. (Hanuman, those links are just for you. I hope you got your Diddl on over there on eBay!) As luck would have it, we were just departing for the hospital for her latest endoscopy, so they would be able to have an up close look at any chain related complications. Before they scoped her, though, she went down for an x-ray, just to check the position of the Diddl in its journey to the sea. Annika thought this was all great fun (fantastic! lesson learned!), and the techs let her go back to look at the films of her own tummy. "Can you find the chain? What doesn't belong in this picture?" the tech asked Annika. "There it is! I found it!" she exclaimed, pointing to the tiny coil near the bottom of the image. It's (don't click on this link with any teeny ones in your lap, not that it's dirty or anything) Where's Waldo for the frequently hospitalized preschool set, I suppose. I'm hoping that she hasn't decided that she's found the perfect solution for jazzing up boring days.
Anyway, she got her very own Diddl necklace on her birthday. Although I have told her that she can't wear her necklace until I get around to buying a new clasp for Frankie's necklace. Yes, we're going New. I am obsessed with examining my daughter's stools, but even I have my boundaries. So in the end, the necklace chain swallowing incident did have some logical repercussions. I'll hope this means we can avoid a repeat. Still, I'm keeping my earring collection out of Anni's reach for a while. I don't like the way she was watching them dangle today. So, yes, Annika is now 5 years old. Here are some pictures from the momentous day:
Annika says: "Help! I'm caught in a yarn trap! Why didn't anyone warn me that unwrapping presents could be so fraught with danger?"
Annika says: "Does this mean that it's OK for me to marry this bear?" (See topic: "marriage confusion" in entry dated October 19, 2005. She could very well be George W. Bush's worst nightmare come true.)
Oh, cupcake! How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
Thou art crumbly and sticky and festooned with sublime pastel dots of sugar. Ah, cupcake. Forsooth, let me hold thee for nigh on several moments more.
Annika and Frankie had a whole new Jack Spratt and his wife* thing going on with these cupcakes. Anni decided that she wasn't so crazy for the fancy swirled frosting and so ate her cupcake from the bottom up, while Frankie was more of a top down kind of girl, generally stopping at the actual cake part, in other words, once the sugar content dropped below 99%. Despite all the birthdays, nobody is cupcaked out here yet. Yeah, we're that tough. *This seems to be the Canadian Mouse KIDiddles site. Do you think at some point someone will realize that variations on "diddle" for products aimed at kids may not be the best idea? That's what the Urban Dictionary is there for, folks.

13 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

Your kids are just so freakin' adorable.

I'm glad that the Diddl incident came out alright in the end (pun definitely intended)

Happy birthday, Anni!

10/25/2005 4:29 AM  
Blogger angela marie said...

Um. Never heard of the Diddl thing. Don't think it's a good idea to get my girls into THAT too...stop tempting me with links, woman. :)

My daughter's birthday saw a bazillion cupcakes too. Those girls and their cupcakes. Anni is after my own heart...I scrape off the frosting too.

10/25/2005 7:03 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ummm..."futtuhfie caduhpidduh!" Is that beautiful caterpillar? Just thought I would take a guess.

Again, I love your post. If only I was as creative as you are with your wording. Never a dull momment, huh? I am lucky that none of my girld, thus far, have swollowed anything like that. I just love how Annika talks. When we saw you with her Mudder, I thought that was the cutest thing. Now, I'm afraid. She is so adorable! Happy belated birthday Annikda!

10/25/2005 8:39 AM  
Blogger Moreena said...

Sarah - translation: Butterfly! Caterpillar!

10/25/2005 9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again, great pics! I love seeing the girls.

LOL at the necklace incident! Although I'm sure it wasn't so funny at the time! Glad that's over.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANNI!!! Glad it was a good one.

Tina

10/25/2005 10:18 AM  
Anonymous Becca - momofnataliebear said...

If you keep showing me cute links to cute things I am going to have to buy my kid more cute stuff...stop the madness!!!

I also hope that Diddl came out OK in the end (he, he, he - I'm sorry that Liz beat me to it!)!

10/25/2005 10:56 AM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

These children are just beautiful beyond words...

10/25/2005 12:08 PM  
Blogger Annika said...

I wish I knew whether I am having a girl! We are all about cute clothes around here.

Ooh, and cupcakes. I could really go for a cupcake.

10/25/2005 2:59 PM  
Anonymous Rowan said...

I too didn't know what futtuhfie caduhpidduh meant until I looked at her shirt. Then it was, "Aha, Chris it's butterfly caterpillar." We laughed because we've been going through that ourselves.

I love the Diddl story, but the Where's Waldo part kind of got to me. (Now that'll keep the old ticker toned.)

What great birthday times. I'm afraid that I enjoyed this post very much.

10/25/2005 4:13 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

OMG, I was laughing so hard (when I found out everything was ok, of course). Anni, Frankie--total keepers!

Happy Birthday, Anni!!!!!!!

10/26/2005 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Miriam said...

Beautiful pictures of beautiful children. I love toddler-speak. :)

10/26/2005 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Beanie Baby said...

I'm so happy to hear that she had such a lovely day, swallowed chain and all. And such lovely pictures to celebrate--I'm a total sucker for keeping Frances's things for posterity.

10/26/2005 8:59 PM  
Anonymous peripateticpolarbear said...

Oh my.

10/27/2005 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home