One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

3 hours in

They took Annika back at 10 a.m. this morning. At 12p.m. they called to say that they finally had placed all the lines she needed (she will need lots of I.V. access in order to quickly transfuse or give fluids as she needs them), and they were ready to begin the incision. Before taking her back, they told us that they anticipate this will be an all-day surgery. Jörg and I are waiting for updates, which are coming every 2 hours. Mostly they will just call to say where they are in the process, and (hopefully) let us know that she is stable and doing fine. Perhaps needless to say, I got very little sleep last night. Annika was so tired by the time we got settled in to her room up on 6 that she was crying at the slightest suggestion she try something new (the pharmacy sent up liquid med's rather than pills, and some of the pills that were sent up were the wrong shape!) It was 9p.m. before things quieted down enough to try for sleep, but when I settled into the bed beside her, she was still kicking and rolling and fidgeting. After a few minutes she declared, "I'm having trouble going to sleep." I asked her if she would like to try laying on my chest. I was thinking of her putting her head on me, but instead she climbed all the way up on top of me. I wrapped my arms around her, and she was snoring in just a few minutes. In the morning she resisted all our attempts to get her ready to go, but in the end Jörg carried her all the way down to the surgical holding area, and she was pretty happy about that. We played the princess memory card game she got yesterday (thank you person from Massachusetts whose name I did not recognize on the box...pseudonymous blogger?) while we waited. She narrowly defeated me, but I was playing upside-down. When they came to get her, we explained that she really did not want to have the central access line in her neck, if at all possible, and that she did not like it when they used "the white stuff" to put her to sleep. She gripped me tightly, and asked me to carry her "like you carry Frankie." She told us that she was afraid to go to sleep, and we told her that it was OK to be scared, but that the doctors were going to take very good care of her. Before they carried her off, they gave her enough versed to make any 5-year-old smile, and all we saw were dimples and blurry, blissed-out blue eyes as she headed back. When they called at noon, they told us that they managed to get the central line in her chest. No neck I.V. We'll take the good news as it comes.

16 Comments:

Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Thanks for the update. All of us internets are peeking out from behind your shoulder today, waiting with you and Jörg, thankful for any good news.

signed, a pseudonymous blogger from Massachusetts

11/30/2005 1:42 PM  
Blogger corndog said...

Also thanking you for the update and the good news so far.

11/30/2005 1:45 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I am so glad that things got off to a good start. I know you were concerned about another bleed, and I am so happy to hear that they were able to proceed (and without a neck IV). I'll keep checking in and I'll call you again later. HUGS and prayers and all of that!

11/30/2005 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Lauren said...

Sending lots and lots of prayers and good thoughts your way.

11/30/2005 1:56 PM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Waiting and watching. And many thanks, Moreena, for taking out the time to keep us posted.

11/30/2005 2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

many many many many thoughts and prayers for you today

11/30/2005 2:37 PM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

Praying ....

11/30/2005 2:42 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

I'm here via jo(e). My thoughts and prayers are with you.

11/30/2005 2:58 PM  
Blogger Sarahlynn said...

and holding my breath.

11/30/2005 2:58 PM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Waiting in Boston too. I am moved to tears at the power you have to ease her fears with just your arms around her.

11/30/2005 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Becca - momofnataliebear said...

Praying and thinking of you...

11/30/2005 3:28 PM  
Blogger ocelot said...

Thanks so much for the updates. We can't believe how fast the big day came. Hearts out to Annika and the family.

11/30/2005 4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there--
I'm a friend of Phantom Scribbler's and just wanted to chime in to say that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers too.
Neighbor Lady

11/30/2005 4:49 PM  
Anonymous Emma said...

Thankful for any and all good news. Continuing to Pray and sending lots of (((hugs)))

11/30/2005 6:25 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Continued prayers being said for Annka.

11/30/2005 6:52 PM  
Blogger moxiemomma said...

prayers upon prayers for that unbelievable kid you have there!

11/30/2005 6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home