One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

back off the freakin' train

If I were a superstitious woman, I would say that I never should have accepted that invitation to today's birthday party for a preschool friend of Annika's. Anni has never been to a birthday party, outside of her own celebrations. First off, she doesn't get so very many invitations (I choose to believe that this is due to her lack of participation in many of the traditional preschool networking events, rather than some personality flaw). Then, what attempts we have made to let her experience the other side of birthday partying have always been thwarted by illness. So what in the world was I doing jinxing our homecoming by RSVP'ing to little Lauren's birthday party? So Annika is now in our least favorite place in the whole entire world, the PICU. CMH in Chicago sent a helicopter to transport her last night. At first she was really excited about the prospect of flying to the hospital. But when she realized that neither Jörg nor I could accompany her, she decided that it was actually a pretty crappy idea. When the nurse came in she told her, "I am not taking a helicopter to the faraway hospital. I am not taking an ambulance. I am not taking a train or a car or a bicycle. I will walk. By myself." Still, when the helicopter arrived, she grudgingly decided that the transport nurse was actually pretty OK, and she went willingly into the chopper, all bundled up and strapped in. Jörg and I ran to our car and drove to the hospital, thankful we had our cell phone. Just in case. We had never before been separated from Annika like that. About an hour into the trip, I took the cell out just to make sure we hadn't missed any calls. It was dead. Of course. So we arrived in record time, even though we had to dodge all the drunk and happy people stumbling out of the bars on Lincoln, which was clogged 2 layers deep with taxis waiting to ferry them safely home. Of course we did not begrudge them their blissfully daring joie de vivre, but it is nevertheless slightly irritating when you are trying to reach your child alone in a PICU room, carrying only a useless cell phone that has left you completely ignorant of her condition. As of this morning the word is that she will remain in the PICU until they are more certain of her status. She has, again, had a significant loss of blood. But her heart rate and blood pressure have reassured us that her body is dealing once again with the insult. She is again on the octreotide, which did a very good job of stopping the bleeding last time. Again, though, she is not allowed to eat or drink anything at all as long as she is on this medicine. So, in summary, this sucks. But it could suck a whole lot more. (Oh, and Frankie is great. She's at home with my mother, who let her sleep in her bed with her last night. However, Frankie is clearly a bit irritated with us for taking off again so soon. So she has clearly been learning from Annika's feisty example. Good for her.)

22 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

Moreena, no matter how many parties you agreed to go to, this is not your fault.

Big hugs.

11/20/2005 1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just told Kelsey about Annika and her surgery, She wants to add her to her prayers tonight. Sounds good to me! Please tell Annika that Kelsey says "hi".
With our thoughts and prayers....

11/20/2005 1:55 PM  
Anonymous Becca said...

We love you all. I don't know what else to say, my friend.

11/20/2005 3:14 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Continued prayers being said for Annika, and your whole family.

11/20/2005 3:50 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, too.

11/20/2005 4:41 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

My heart goes out to you all. I'm praying, too.

11/20/2005 5:14 PM  
Anonymous peripateticpolarbear said...

Okay, I say this in the most pastoral way possible:
this sucks.
Hang tight.

11/20/2005 6:59 PM  
Blogger Coralee said...

Moorena, I've been keeping up with your blogs and your conversations with Jenn. Please know you ALL are in our prayers and will continue to be.
Shelby's Grammie Cori

11/20/2005 7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moreena,

I never posted in your site, but I do come very often to check on Annika. I hope that everything will go well and Annika can be home again soon.

Sandy

11/20/2005 8:14 PM  
Blogger ocelot said...

Thank you so much for the updates. My wife and I hang on your every entry. Er, no pressure though.

Go Annika! You're in our thoughts.

11/20/2005 9:13 PM  
Blogger Bettie Bookish said...

Moreena~

There is nothing fair or right about what your family is going through right now. I hope that you get some comfort knowing that you're all in our thoughts and prayers.

You are all fighters.

11/20/2005 9:14 PM  
Blogger Jenevieve said...

Moreena, glad to hear that Annika is stabilizing, though this still sucks (in case you, you know, forgot). I am praying for you guys!

11/20/2005 10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best wishes to annika! i hope she makes a speedy (and thorough!) recovery. until then, lots of happy thoughts are coming your way!

11/21/2005 12:02 AM  
Blogger Rev Dr Mom said...

I am new to your blob (via Phantom Scribbler). Please know that your family is in my prayers.

11/21/2005 6:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been away from the computer fro 3 days and am just now catching up on you guys. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there!!! Hugs to you all ~

tina

11/21/2005 6:56 AM  
Anonymous Robyn said...

I;m sorry. It all just sucks.
More prayers.

11/21/2005 8:27 AM  
Blogger angela marie said...

I'm so sorry that you are all there again so soon, Moreena. I have no words to give you. Just my prayers.

11/21/2005 10:01 AM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

You are on my mind and in my loving thoughts.

11/21/2005 10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All love to you all.

xo Catherine

11/21/2005 11:27 AM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Hugs and prayers and I am so sorry!

11/21/2005 12:55 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I can't remember anymore how I found you and Anni and your amazing family, or when. But I'm so happy I did. I've never posted to you before. Mostly I've just cried and laughed to myself. But I want you to know that I think of you all often and always have a prayer in my heart. Anni... you go get 'em girlie. You are one kick-butt little chick!
Know that I'm out here reading and praying,
Laurie

11/23/2005 8:02 PM  
Anonymous Rowan said...

Big fat crud!

Good for Annika's bravery. I wish she didn't need it.

11/26/2005 9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home