One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Friday, November 18, 2005

Back on the train, part II

Home again. Deep sigh. Once it was clear that Annika could handle solid food, we skedaddled out of there. We rode Amtrak home together (I rode in the ambulance with her up to Chicago, so no car available). Annika was thrilled with Union Station and being surrounded by trains idling their impressively growly engines. It's shocking how quickly things go from Pure Terror to Okey-Dokey. Jörg and I were both scared out of our wits on Monday evening. And it was clear that her docs in Chicago were worried, too. They sent an ambulance with 3 transport nurses from Children's, after first checking into a helicopter (grounded because of weather). As the nurses reported back to the hospital on our way up I-55, I realized that they had a PICU room ready for Annika, should she need it. When we got on the elevator at Children's and the nurse pushed the button for 6, the regular transplant floor, not the PICU floor, I breathed a sigh of relief. So we're home for 11 days before returning for her shunt surgery. The sclerosing on Wednesday should hold her safe from any bleeds until the surgeon can finally get in there and try to fix the problem. I will try to finish up all the little odds and ends I have sitting on my computer desktop, like the story of Frankie's first E.R. visit (the day before Anni's bleed) and the ongoing transformation of the girls' room. Meanwhile, I recommend reading the inaugural issue of The Whole Mom (well done, Andrea!), for which I contributed a short piece on organ donation and television.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Tammy, CLASS mom to Janna said...

So glad you are HOME. So glad they were able to get to the varix. Our prayers are with you for the shunt surgery on the 30th.

11/18/2005 2:41 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I add my prayers as well. Wow, and I am so glad that things have turned OK again.

Loved your piece in TheWholeMom, too.

11/18/2005 2:58 PM  
Blogger liz said...

Whew.

Annika is always in my thoughts.

Your piece in The Whole Mom was great.

11/18/2005 3:36 PM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Loved your Whole Mom piece, too. Hoping for a quiet holiday for the family.

11/18/2005 3:59 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Glad to hear your back home. I was ready to call you at children's to ask if we could come for a visit tomarow (saturday) but figured I should first check your blog first. Please, Enjoy your thanksgiving. Prayers for Annika.

11/18/2005 6:54 PM  
Anonymous Miriam said...

So good to hear you're back home. I will be thinking of your family in 11 days.

11/18/2005 7:55 PM  
Anonymous peripateticpolarbear said...

So glad you are home, and I LOVE union station, too.

11/18/2005 8:34 PM  
Blogger trisha said...

What a relief! I worry so much about you all. You always have my prayers and love.

11/18/2005 10:08 PM  
Blogger Sarahlynn said...

Oh, thank God. (I mean that as a general saying, or something I might be doing, not as an annoying command.)

11/19/2005 12:15 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Glad you're home. I read the Whole Mom piece, and I think it was wonderfully done (of course, all of your writing is!).

I hope you have a peaceful Thanksgiving!

11/19/2005 5:21 AM  
Anonymous Beanie Baby said...

Thank you, MOreena. You so did not have to do any kind of promotion with everything going on in your life right now!

I hope for a peaceful and uneventful eleven days, followed by as peaceful and uneventful a surgery as possible. You are all in my thoughts.

11/19/2005 7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home