One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

better news

Annika's bleeding appears to have stopped. At least, there's been no blood in her stool since 6 pm yesterday evening. So the doctors have stopped the octreotide (the medicine that stops the bleeding), and have let her begin to drink again. Plus, there's been ice cream. Plenty of ice cream. It turns out that she won't have to be NPO (nothing by mouth) until after her surgery after all. She'll be able to have a liquid diet until the day before her surgery, when she'll go back to nothing in preparation for the anesthesia. We are preparing to move out of the PICU and up to the regular floor for the night. If there's still no sign of bleeding by tomorrow afternoon, we'll head for the Kohl's House across the street from the hospital to wait for her surgery. Although she will be getting her IV nutrition through her new PICC line 24 hours a day, she should be able to get out and take walks, and maybe even go over to the zoo down the street (OK, maybe I need to double-check with the doctors about that one). In any case, it should be a vast improvement in her quality of life, even with no thanksgiving turkey. I also hope that we might be able to bring Frankie and my mom up for a visit. If not, I will probably take the train down to visit them while Jörg stays with Annika. Frankie sounds like she is doing very well with my mother, but I still miss her. I've gotten a couple of requests for an address to send cards. Annika would love that. Like most 5-year-olds, she is a mail junkie. I think the best thing would be to send them to the Kohl's House. Here's the address: Annika Tiede Kohl's House 2422 N. Orchard Chicago, Illinois 60614 OK, back downstairs. Jörg is home grading papers, and although there is a volunteer staying with Annika in the room, she gets a little nervous if we're gone too long.

23 Comments:

Blogger Elle said...

Good news. Very glad to hear it.

11/22/2005 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Becca - momofnataliebear said...

I tried calling you today at your PICU room. Annika answered. Could she BE any more adorable? I told her that it was Natalie's mommy calling and she said, "Oh, hi, my mom is talking to the nurses. Can you call back later? Bye."

I've never talked to such a polite little 5 year old. Sending much love!

11/22/2005 2:12 PM  
Blogger I said...

thanks for sharing here. you strengthen and inspire me in many ways. so again:

thank you.

11/22/2005 2:18 PM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

What great news. Along comes some mail, pronto!

11/22/2005 3:48 PM  
Anonymous Tammy, CLASS mom to Janna said...

So glad to hear that the bleeding has stopped and hopefully for good. I am so glad she will have at least a liquid diet. I pray that all remains quiet and the procedure is a success.

11/22/2005 4:42 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I am so glad to hear that. I hope she gets moved there soon and I am here--just call.

11/22/2005 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the updates. It means so much to all of us to be kept in the loop. Love to you all.

xo Catherine

11/22/2005 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that good news and hope everything goes well.

Sandy
mom to samson

11/22/2005 7:38 PM  
Anonymous Robyn said...

So glad for some better news. Prayers for a great surgery and excellent recovery.

11/22/2005 7:46 PM  
Anonymous kristennn said...

I'm relieved to hear things are looking up a little bit. We're going to be at the hospital for thanksgiving this year too .... We went in for labs this morning, and then an appt and they were so high so we're getting yet another biopsy tommorrow. She hadn't had in a whole week so I guess we're due. I hope you guys get sent to the kohl's house, and I hope you get to see Frankie soon.

11/22/2005 8:30 PM  
Anonymous Sheryl, Justice's mom said...

Hooray for ice cream. Sorry it's not turkey though! They made a rather perplexing turkey ice cream on iron chef america the other night...not exactly normal thanksgiving fare but a bullseye for Anni's list of can haves! Praying for a bleedless week and happier times outside hospital walls. Fingers crossed that the picc placement goes smoothly!!

11/22/2005 9:15 PM  
Anonymous Lisa (Aiden's mom) said...

We love you guys. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

11/22/2005 10:52 PM  
Anonymous Beanie Baby said...

Oh yay, I"m so glad to hear that!

11/23/2005 6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear the bleeding has stopped and she can eat at least a little! I know that has to make you both happier.

Thrilled to have the addy - will get something out soon!!!

tina

11/23/2005 6:41 AM  
Anonymous Marisa said...

Annika, watch the mail at the Kohl's house..probably Saturday!

Love Ya, Marisa

11/23/2005 5:37 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

We love you Annika. I'm so sorry you have to be there on Thanksgiving. Our thoughts are with you. We are Thankful to be friends with such a great family.

11/23/2005 10:00 PM  
Blogger susan said...

I'm glad to hear some good news....what spirit you all have.

11/24/2005 7:50 AM  
Blogger corndog said...

Happy Thanksgiving and best of luck with the pureed turkey!

11/24/2005 1:44 PM  
Blogger panthergirl said...

Here by way of Elle...True Blue 4 Ever... what an amazing little girl you have.

Happy Thanksgiving, and I hope the good news continues! :)

11/24/2005 5:16 PM  
Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Stopping by to wish you a happy Thanksgiving! I really hope Annika feels much better very soon.

11/25/2005 4:25 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Moreena,
You and Annika are in the thoughts and prayers of my family. I send you both as much strength and energy as possible. She sounds like such a special and wonderful child, and you are a wonderful mommy!
**huggles**
Holly, from running2ks blog circle

11/25/2005 4:41 PM  
Anonymous peripateticpolarbear said...

Glad it's getting better. Wish it was even more better than it is.

11/25/2005 10:12 PM  
Anonymous Rowan said...

Ice Cream is my absolute all time favorite food. I hope she likes it, too.

11/26/2005 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home