One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Monday, November 07, 2005

nesting

In one week I have:
  1. Planned, prepared, and executed a late, joint birthday party for the girls.
  2. Shopped for and planted 2 big mums, 6 small junipers (Only $8 each! Fall clearance time rocks!), and 1 large-ish maple (Only $25! And it's as tall as I am! Woohoo!)
  3. Painted the girls' bedroom blue (top 2/3) and green (bottom 1/3) - Annika selected the colors (and I am so proud of her for deciding against pink) because she wanted her bedroom to be an "outdoor place." So, the blue is supposed to be the sky, etc.
  4. Created a new reading nook in the girls' room, complete with egg chairs and a butterfly-festooned canopy.
  5. Drove with the girls to Rockford for an overnight visit of fun!fun!fun! with the Martins
  6. Been bitten for the first time (Frankie decided that a half-chewed carrot just had to stay in her mouth, even though she was half-asleep, and never mind the choking hazard thank you very much.)
  7. Helped one child wipe her bottom in a gas station toilet while simultaneously holding the other child asleep on my shoulder (nice timing, Anni!)
  8. Had near heart-attack when Annika started crying and spit out suspicious looking black bits out of her mouth. For those not in the medical know, vomiting that includes specks that look like coffee grounds can be a sign of a variceal bleed (that's what Annika had in Dallas). Luckily, quick-thinking Jennifer (of Martin Girls fame) figured out that she was spitting out the granules of Quik that had not dissolved in her milk. After observing my hair turn gray before her eyes, Jennifer has decided not to serve any more Quik to Annika.
  9. Replanted evergreens blown out of the ground by this weekend's huge storm. (Have you ever seen the Lillian Gish movie The Wind? I think I must have seen the original dark ending version at my sister and brother-in-law's house because I remember her going crazy in the end. And I totally get it. It's like living in a wind tunnel here.)
Here we are, just 3 weeks away from Annika's Big Surgery. I've got all sorts of nervous energy moving my limbs this way and that with various projects and meanwhile it seems my mind is shutting down. At least, sentences aren't forming the way they should for me. This feeling reminds me of the whole nesting thing before giving birth. There is anticipation, of course, great and lovely anticipation, but also a sort of dread at facing the unknown and wondering if you'll be up to it. There's the same sort of mixture for me now. And the feeling that if only my linen closet were better organized then I would surely be ready. Thus, the home improvement projects. But of course we are still having fun. "How much?" you ask. Well, about this much (movie, 5.8MB)

10 Comments:

Blogger corndog said...

You've been busy, which sounds like a good idea to me. Damn those people at Nestle's for their incompletely dissolving granules!

11/07/2005 7:41 AM  
Blogger Bettie Bookish said...

What cruel irony that the best part of a glass of chocolate milk should also be the most terrifying.

ANd thanks for the movie. I'll be singing Josephine Baker all day.

11/07/2005 9:02 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Wow, you have been using your time well, I need to learn to do that. CUTE, CUTE, CUTE, little video clip!

11/07/2005 9:52 AM  
Anonymous Jenn said...

I love the video clip!!!!!! I have to learn how to do that! I'm eyeing those leaves right now wondering if today they're worth my time to mulch, or if it can wait for another day....hmmm...

I hope your finger is feeling better. I think Frankie set some world record for holding that carrot in her mouth for sssoooo long! We'll have to come soon to see the girls "new" room.

11/07/2005 12:05 PM  
Blogger Coralee said...

Thanks for the great video! I'm gal you and the girls were able to visit with Shelby and Riley and their parents. Looks like the girls had a great time together. Just know we are thinking of you as the days approach Anni's surgery!!

11/07/2005 12:12 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I love the movie. And I think I won't be interested in Quik, either.

You are my hero!

11/07/2005 6:30 PM  
Blogger allison said...

I too, clean clean clean and organize, and prettify when either under stress, worried, unhappy, intensely angry...etc. It's like the only thing I can control under situations such as those is the amount of clean underwear I've folded, or the sanitization of my counters and toilets...You are in prayers, and it seems, lots of them.

11/08/2005 5:55 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Wow, you've been busy!! :-)

11/08/2005 8:31 PM  
Anonymous Tammy, CLASS mom to Janna said...

I pray that all goes well with Annika's surgery. I could read your posts all the way to the bottom. Keep reading the New Yorker, you are right, you need it and it seems to help with your posts! Your girls are adorable.

11/09/2005 10:27 PM  
Anonymous peripateticpolarbear said...

You've been a busy, busy girl.

11/13/2005 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home