One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

thank god for student nurses

The student nurses are swarming the floor up here in dark Chicago. Annika loves her student nurses. They're young and chipper and love her music (and her knock-knock jokes). Plus, she loves that she gets to have me out of the room and just hang. You know, kick back with the girls. So the docs in Chicago had her started on an I.V. medicine that pretty much stops the bleeding almost immediately, although she was still losing blood as of 7:30 this morning. She has to remain on this continuously until they go back in with a scope in the OR tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, she is confined to her bed so that her heartrate can be constantly monitored. If you know Annika at all (and it's not like I ever write about her, right?), you know that that kind of confinement gets really old, really fast. Also, they had to start a second I.V. on her this morning to have another access in case they need to start a rapid blood transfusion. The word so far is that they are planning on sclerosing her tomorrow morning, and plan to leave the surgery at its scheduled date. There was some talk of moving it up, given this new round of bleeding, but it seems that is not going to happen. I still don't know exactly why, and noone has come by to explain the plan to me, which leaves me fairly pissed. I also do not know if they are planning on letting her go home after the sclerosing or keeping us here until the surgery. Another question that you'd think someone might think of answering for me. On the other hand, I suppose that they won't be able to give us a lot of information until they get in there tomorrow morning with their itsy-bitsy futuristic cameras and check out what is actually going on. Thanks for your kind words and thoughts, again.

17 Comments:

Blogger Running2Ks said...

More hugs and prayers for you. This is a rough time. Anni is such a champ. I hope everything will get answered for your soon.


BTW, I read your article in TheWholeMom on organ donation and it was terrific.

11/15/2005 6:28 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh, Moreena. I am so sorry to hear this. Prayers for Annika, and your whole family. I will check back soon. Tell Anni that Anna says hello! We might have to make a special trip out to Chicago for a visit. Let me know what room your in, we'll give you a call.

11/15/2005 6:53 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Thanks for the update, Moreena. We're praying for Annika, and all of you.

11/15/2005 7:06 PM  
Blogger Shannon, Little Marisa' s Mommy said...

Saying lots of prayers tonight. This is bringing back bad memories of Marisa's bleed. Give her a hug and take some deep breaths...

11/15/2005 7:14 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Glad that you're in Chicago and that things are being taken care of. I know how frustrating not getting your questions answered is, too...I hope that you get your answers tomorrow.

Thinking of you guys tonight. Prayers for tomorrow!

11/15/2005 7:28 PM  
Blogger corndog said...

Moreena, thanks for keeping us bloggy buddies informed. I've been thinking about you guys all day.

I sure hope that the docs see fit to fill you in on the plan sooner rather than later. You may need to remind them that they need to keep you in the loop. And I hope Annika can be a patient patient while they work all this out.

More good thoughts heading your way!

11/15/2005 7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

more love to you all.

xo Catherine

11/15/2005 8:15 PM  
Anonymous peripateticpolarbear said...

Glad things are getting better. Thanks for the update.

11/15/2005 11:08 PM  
Blogger Sarahlynn said...

I like to think that if I were in your shoes, I'd soldier up as well. But, wow. You just - wow.

I don't mean, "oh you're so strong, you never cry or complain." It would be unhealthy if you didn't cry and complain. I mean, some parents do wig out and just can't show up. But you're not only there, you're so involved, so informed, so doing the best thing for Annika every step of the way.

11/15/2005 11:30 PM  
Anonymous Becca said...

Oh Moreena - the struggles of the lack of communication at hotel CMH - I feel for you. Really I do. I'd take it on for you if I could. And that's saying something - you know how much I hate being there too!

I hope that they are able to find out what is going on and let you know ASAP. You're in my prayers.

11/16/2005 7:00 AM  
Anonymous Robyn, emma's mom said...

Many, many prayers for Annika

11/16/2005 7:39 AM  
Blogger susan said...

you're all still in my thoughts, moreena, and I hope you get better info from the doctors on the case.

11/16/2005 10:44 AM  
Blogger liz said...

Hugs and prayers from me too.

11/16/2005 12:00 PM  
Blogger Amanda M said...

Hope Anni recovers from this bleed soon, and that there's more of an action plan soon...Thinking of you!!

Hugs,
Amanda, Aunt to Katie, age 7, BA, biliaryatresia.blogspot.com

11/16/2005 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Lisa (Aidens' mom ) said...

I am crying for you guys. I hate that a child like your has to endure SO much. I just pray for peace and Mercy.

I know you have been told this, but you are such an amazing Mommy. You have a gift of seeing the beauty in the ugly. I just thank you for sharing your life with us. God Bless

11/16/2005 5:01 PM  
Blogger Mika said...

Moreena!

I am hoping you get some good answers with the scope tomorrow. A game plan that you feel comfortable with. We are keeping Anni in our prayers...

Much Love

Mika, Drews mom

11/16/2005 10:01 PM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

In my thoughts, as ever...

11/17/2005 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home