One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

no title for such a crappy-ass night as last night

This post is going to sound dire. Sorry. But I'm scared. Annika's bleeding increased last night. She went for a tapping of the fluid in her abdomen yesterday (the pocket they tapped was not the source of her infection). And then went for a CT to look for other possible fluid pockets that could be the home for the bacteria. After the CT, she sat on the bedside commode and filled the bucket below with blood. Then she leaned over and vomited even more blood. Repeat scene 1 hour later. After that, she stooled blood every hour or two through the night (continuing this morning). They put her on a rapid transfusion of blood, but her hemoglobin was still dropping alarmingly after two units of blood (and two of plasma to help her body clot off the bleeding) had gone in. Around midnight they switched her to a new combination of I.V. antibiotics, hoping to curb the infection that is making the bleeding worse. Finally, after the third unit of blood, her hemoglobin stabilized and then went up. This morning she is feeling much better, but still bleeding. The new theory is that she had not only varices in her esophagus, but also in her intestine. The Rex shunt, which had been planned, would have taken care of both kinds of varices, but the shunt she got instead may have actually increased the pressure on those lower varices. I have no idea what they are going to do to relieve the pressure on those varices. Add to that that the CT showed fluid accumulating around her heart and that the X-ray showed the areas of collapse in her lung worsening, and you get some shaky hands and gray hairs a-poppin' out everywhere. I know Running2Ks had suggested giving blood for Annika (she has had now 9 transfusions over the past few days). I think that is a wonderful impulse, but would instead encourage you, if you feel like doing something, to simply give blood at your local Red Cross. Obviously, increasing the blood supply for everyone helps out Annika, too. Running2Ks also offered to post for me, and I'm adding her to this blog so that she may do that for me. OK, so I am completely wired on coffee, no sleep, and nervous stomach acid. Thus the possible disjointedness and gaps in the story. But, it bears repeating, Annika is doing well and is stable. She has already informed the doctors that she wants ice cream tomorrow. I don't see that happening, but I think her demand is a good sign that she is still going strong.

42 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worry for you and Annika and pray as well. It is so reassuring to hear Annika demands ice cream...what strong will she has! I pray things turn around quickly, the infection gets treated and the bleeding subsides. She seems so strong and there needs to be comfort in that....still praying.

jill and kelsey

12/08/2005 10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will continue to pray for Annika and for the rest of your family.try and continue to stay strong, i pray that all of this misserable bleeding will stop soon . tabitha logans mom

12/08/2005 11:26 AM  
Anonymous peripateticpolarbear said...

Oh, nothing to say here, all the cliches are running through my head.....be strong. I will pray. I will mostly pray for ice cream, because that seems to be the best news in all of this.

12/08/2005 11:37 AM  
Blogger Jane Dark said...

Moreena, I'm sorry. Thank you for posting despite all this, and thanks to running2ks as well. I'm still praying; not stopping any time soon.

12/08/2005 11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Annika is amazing, Moreena. I picture her well and strong. I wish that the pit in my stomach somehow worked to lessen the one in yours, but I know it doesn't quite work that way.

Do you need anything--anything that a far-away someone could stick in the mail or have biked over from a local shop or anything? I hope you'd ask if you did.

xo Catherine

12/08/2005 11:42 AM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh Moreena. We will pray without ceasing. For Annika to get her ice cream.

12/08/2005 11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bleibt stark! Wir glauben an Euch.
Und hoffen auf Besserung.
Herzlich
judit, miklós und martin

12/08/2005 11:48 AM  
Anonymous Kim said...

Oh Moreena - I am sorry Annika is having such a tough time. Stay strong Anni - you are a little fighter! I want ice cream tomorrow too! I will keep you in my prayers and hope the bleeding stops, they confirm the source, fix the source and get rid of the nasty infection. Big hugs!

Kim

12/08/2005 12:02 PM  
Blogger corndog said...

Still here, still praying.

12/08/2005 12:18 PM  
Blogger Amanda M said...

Moreena - HUGS!! Bleeds ARE dire, no need to apologize.

12/08/2005 12:19 PM  
Blogger Amanda M said...

P.S.

Hey Running2K,

If we send a care pkg for Moreena, what should we send? Or is stuff just more hassle to deal w/?

- Amanda, Aunt to Katie, age 7, BA, kasai

12/08/2005 12:22 PM  
Anonymous Lisa and Aiden said...

Praying for you. I am simply just sitting here with tears running down my cheeks for you. Little Annika, you are such a tough little one. A hero for me. I lvoe that you want that icecream little sweetie. Keep it up, when you are strong and better, I know your Mommy will get you the biggest sundae ever.

Love to you

12/08/2005 12:23 PM  
Anonymous Becca, Jason and Natalie Ketter said...

Oh, Moreena,
What can we do?
I will pray. (And send lots and lots of cards!)

12/08/2005 12:24 PM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

Still listening and praying ....

12/08/2005 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say other than my prayers continue. Anni's strong will is going to help pull her through.

And thank you R2K for helping with the posting - that is a wonderful idea!

tina

12/08/2005 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Irene(CLASS) said...

I'm praying for ice cream too cause that will mean Anni is well enough to have it. My goodness, woman, you are strong. Hang in there. Take care of yourself so you can take care of that precious little girl.

12/08/2005 12:37 PM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

Oh Moreena, I'm so sorry to hear this terrible news. My hands are shaking after reading this, I cannot imagine living through it.

I will keep praying and sending positive ice cream eating thoughts your way.

12/08/2005 1:04 PM  
Blogger ocelot said...

Arg, gut-wrenching! So sorry Annika and you have to go through all this. Great that she's stablized. She's a superhero, as is her Mom!

12/08/2005 1:13 PM  
Anonymous Beanie Baby said...

I should know better than to read this at work. I should. Yet I do. Then I get weepy.

I'm just holding on to the part where you said she's doing well, because from my 100% layman's perspective, the rest of it seemed--as you say--dire.

Thinking of all of you.

12/08/2005 1:14 PM  
Anonymous Stacy - Tanner's mom said...

A girl after my own heart - feeling that crappy & STILL demanding ice cream. Stay strong sweet Anni...

Moreena, you guys are all in our thoughts and prayers...

12/08/2005 1:20 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

More prayers, coming your way.

12/08/2005 1:27 PM  
Anonymous Angela and Adam Barnes said...

I am so sorry you are going through this those varices are a mighty big pain. Adam has never had a bleed, we have been very lucky. Please know that we are praying for Annika and that those varices stop bleeding.

Angie and Adam

12/08/2005 1:35 PM  
Blogger liz said...

Big hugs and lots of prayers.

12/08/2005 1:51 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Anni is so strong. I am keeping my prayers up for her and your family. I'll talk to you later, and update whatever you need.

12/08/2005 2:21 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

Amanda M, I'll talk to Moreena and ask her about care packages.

12/08/2005 2:22 PM  
Blogger brenda said...

My heart and my prayers truly go out to Annika and her family. Please let her get better!

12/08/2005 2:40 PM  
Anonymous Mary Lee said...

Have they considered the roux limb as a source of the bleeding? That is where they found Nora's, it doesn't show up on tagged red blood cell scans or any other non invasive scopes. An MRV might give some indication.

12/08/2005 3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moreena,
Keeping Annika in our prayers!

Michelle (jack's Mom from CLASS)

12/08/2005 3:20 PM  
Blogger Scrivener said...

Big, big hugs.

12/08/2005 3:56 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh Moreena, I am so sorry that all of this is happening. Give Annika an Extra big hug from us. Prayers always being said for her.

12/08/2005 4:12 PM  
Blogger Bella Sultane said...

Sending prayers and good thoughts!

12/08/2005 4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're thinking of you! Hugs from a class kids mom, Jen

Jen, mom of Grace & Meghan, who have Alpha-1

12/08/2005 4:29 PM  
Blogger angie said...

Thinking about you Sweet Annika! Moreena, I hope that you are getting some rest and taking care of YOU too! I know how difficult that can be. I hope they find the source of Annika's bleeding soon!

12/08/2005 4:41 PM  
Blogger Elle said...

I will be praying for you all.

12/08/2005 5:14 PM  
Anonymous Emma said...

Praying for Ice Cream and the healing with will mean!

12/08/2005 6:34 PM  
Blogger Rev Dr Mom said...

Hugs and prayers coming your way. And prayers that Annika can soon eat her ice cream.

12/08/2005 6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another CLASS mom stopping in to send huge hugs and more prayers your way. Hang in there sweetheart, the Drs are working hard to fix you up. Stay strong, Moreena.

Denise
cjsmom

12/08/2005 6:55 PM  
Blogger Bettie Bookish said...

Add me to the chorus of people who wish they could do more, who are sending prayers and good wishes, who are standing here helplessly shaking our fists at illness, who are amazed at your strength, who are sending hugs and hugs and hugs.

There is a package from us on its way to Kohl's House for Annika.

I hope tomorrow is better, and the day after even better than that.

12/08/2005 7:04 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Prayers from us here, too

12/08/2005 8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

all my heart and hope is with you.

12/09/2005 10:34 AM  
Blogger Jenevieve said...

Praying for you guys!

12/09/2005 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Rowan said...

Nothing to say that I haven't said before. We're still here...and caring and sending all the love and strenth and support we can.

12/09/2005 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home