One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

up and down and back around

So my jubilation over Annika's rising hemoglobin was shortlived. Yesterday evening she dropped again and had another transfusion. But the transplant surgeons are happy with how the gaping wound in her abdomen is healing. I can't call it an "incision" right now; that just sounds too normal, too closely related to a paper cut. I think my foulish mood is due to the nightmare I had last night, which involved lots of blood and being trapped in a theater that resembled a scary McDonald's (not that those places aren't already a bit scary already). In the middle of the night I left the room to go get a drink of water, and saw that the dialysis machine had been removed from our PICU neighbor's room. So I smiled a bit to myself that my friend's wish had come true (removing at least one machine before Christmas). Then Jörg brought in the coffee this morning bearing the news that the machine had actually malfunctioned, and they had actually had a very rough night. Sending nothing but healing wishes to Matthew.

9 Comments:

Blogger liz said...

Big hugs Moreena, and I will add Matthew to my prayers for Anni and the child of a co-worker here (3 years old, diagnosed with a brain tumor)

12/21/2005 5:56 PM  
Anonymous peripateticpolarbear said...

oh my. up and down and up and down. I hope things start moving up a little more consistently. Thanks for keeping us in the loop

12/21/2005 6:59 PM  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

I too will add Matthew to my prayers. Moreena, hugs--I'm so sorry about the setback, but I am happy to hear Anni is healing well. My thoughts remain with you always.

12/21/2005 7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...two steps forward and one back, huh. So sorry to hear about the goings on. You've got every reason to be foul now and then!

Keep healing up little Annika.

12/21/2005 7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack. I'm sorry for the roller coaster, Moreena. But it sounds like the doctors are happy, which is always good.

xo Catherine

12/21/2005 10:15 PM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Good grief, Moreena. You're in my thoughts.

12/21/2005 11:05 PM  
Anonymous Rowan said...

Keep your hands and feet inside the cart at all times, eh?
I'm sorry to hear that things are being so frustrating again (still). Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.
We'll be thinking of Mathew, too.

12/21/2005 11:34 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I'm never sure if hearing the same sort of message from someone you've never met is of any help at all, but all the same...So sorry to hear things aren't going quite as well, but we know that Annika is made of stern stuff, and it's good news that the wound is healing well. Hang on in there. Best love.

12/22/2005 6:19 AM  
Anonymous sue (moirasmom) said...

Moreena, continued prayers for Annika and for all the children in need of healing right now. With you in spirit.

12/22/2005 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home