So the results of the scope are back and to everyone's shock, she has 3 new esophageal varices. Big ones.
Annika's surgeon, Dr. Superina, came to the O.R. to view them himself, having expressed disbelief even when the doctors called him during the scope to let him know.
In a way we are relieved that there is nothing wrong with her intestine and that there is not some new problem that she has to deal with. However, this does mean that something
is not working with the shunt. Either the shunt itself is not relieving enough pressure, or there are some hidden veins that the shunt is not taking care of at all. If this all sounds weird and speculative, that's because it kind of is.
I don't think anyone is going to talk to us about strategy until next week. I fully expect to hear the word "retransplant" mentioned in the first five minutes of that meeting. But, again, I could be wrong. Meanwhile, I am wondering if we will be leaving the PICU any time soon.
In the good news department, I have heard that there is a spare room at the Kohl's house next week and I'm thinking of getting my mom to come up here with Frankie. Originally we were going to wait until Annika was out of the PICU and a little more mobile, but I'm not sure when that will happen. I've been gone with Annika since Nov. 14, except for that all too brief day and a half at home. Had I known that our stay at home would be so short, I would have spent much more time snuggling Frankie and much less time doing laundry and painting bugs on the girls' bedroom walls. So I've got some catching up to do with my youngest.
Please know that I am reading all the comments, and I love reading them. It's good to feel the positive energy directed Annika's way, and reading so many well wishes helps my mood, too. So, thanks.