One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Monday, May 01, 2006

normal conversations

Big Big Words Annika and I, discussing the possibility of getting a dog: Annika: I'm not allergic to dogs, right? Me: No, you're not. Annika: I'm just allergic to cephalosporins and ... what's that other stuff I'm allergic to? Me: amikacin Annika: Yes, that's right. I'm allergic to cephalosporins and amikacin. But not dogs. Me: No, not dogs. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Annika: Do I need to go to sleep for this test? Me: No, not this time. It's just an ultrasound. Annika: OK. But if I have to go to sleep I want Genny to be my anesthesiologist. (Paging Genny, PICU nurse, Genny. I hope those night classes have been going well. Because you're on, baby.) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Phlebotomist: OK, this rubber band thingy is going to squeeze really hard. Annika: That's a tourniquet. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Isn't medical life fun? I mean, what's with Mary Poppins and her "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"? Like that's some big tough word. Annika and I are going to write our own song and call it, "Cephalosporinamikacintourniquetanesthesiologist!" Cephalosporinamikacintourniquetanesthesiologist! Even though the sound of it is ER-talk for "you got dissed!" If you say it loud enough, you'll sound hip like a Decembrist! Cephalosporinamikacintourniquetanesthesiologist! (Disney, I am available for free-lance lyric work. Call me! Cephalosporinamikacintourniquetanesthesiologist!) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The internet is a kind place... I do occasionally fact-check myself; check my spelling ... responsible stuff like that. Not usually until a day or two after I've hit the publish button, unfortunately. In checking my Apocalypse Now quote in the entry below, I was reminded that Robert Duvall's famous line already speaks of gasoline ("I love the smell of Napalm in the morning. The smell, that gasoline smell. Smells like victory.") I feel a bit silly. And nobody called me on it. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ...and so is the world Sometimes I regret not being anonymous here, but I figure that boat's long since sailed (see conclusion above). But the other day I ran into a woman I hadn't seen for ages, a fellow mom from a playgroup that I stopped attending over a year ago. She asked me, as normal people do in the course of normal conversation every day, "How are you?" I hesitated, just slightly I think, over the question. There's always that moment in your head when you're caught between just saying "Great!" and leaving it at that, or saying something more truthful, which will inevitably lead to way more elaboration than the polite question was meant to elicit. In that moment of hesitation, she inclined her head a bit toward me and said, "I read your blog," as if she knew that I was trying to figure out an answer. And just like that, relief! I didn't have to explain all that had happened since I'd last seen her, all our worries about Annika's future, and we could just have a chat, like normal people in a Target store.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Beanie Baby said...

Great. Now I"m going to have that song stuck in my head all day. ;)

5/02/2006 6:34 AM  
Anonymous Becca - Natalie's mommy said...

I have a love-hate relationship with that question, "How are you?" or "How is Natalie?" when I see people that I too haven't seen in ages. In fact, Jason jokes that it takes me only 45 seconds to tell Natalie's complete medical history to perfect strangers. So I "get" the hesitation. God Bless the Blog!

We think of you all often, too. Much love, as always to the girls.

5/02/2006 8:40 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I love the medical terminology. It reminds me such much of Haley's bilirubin song - where he marries Al-bumin. When asked, Tanner can point to where his liver is. Doesn't seem right for a 2 year old.

I'm glad that you can have these "normal" conversations. We're praying for a steady course the next few months.

5/02/2006 9:39 AM  
Anonymous Crystal said...

Aren't kids just absolutely amazing! It just blows my mind the things that come out of their mouths! It is great (and sometimes not) that they have somewhat of an understanding of what's going on around them!

I am so thankful to you for your blog! If I am having a crappy day with Trenton, I will jump on and read any entry about Annika, and I just laugh at her antics. Thank you Moreena!

5/02/2006 9:59 AM  
Blogger Jane Dark said...

Oi, Moreena, your song is fantastic. Made my day. As always, thanks for writing.

5/02/2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger Yankee T said...

Hug, Moreena, to you, Anni and the fam. You're always on my mind.

5/02/2006 10:25 AM  
Anonymous peripateticpolarbear said...

And the important thing today is: she's not allergic to dogs.

5/02/2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger halloweenlover said...

I love that she corrected him about the tourniquet! Love it!

5/02/2006 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like Annika should explain Portal Hypertension to Danny. He just calls himself "Blue Man" when he looks at his belly in the mirror (because of all the big blue veins). And, he tells his little brother Jack that Jack can't call himself "Blue Man". So, it's all a matter of perspective as to who is the lucky one :)
Mary O.

5/02/2006 4:45 PM  
Blogger liz said...

Love the song. Love the computer set up. Love the idea of a dog.

Hugs and kisses.

5/02/2006 9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's incredible the amount of information kids can digest and remember!

5/03/2006 7:46 AM  
Anonymous kathy a said...

annika is so amazing. xoxoxo

5/03/2006 10:16 AM  
Blogger Amanda M said...

Last time she visited, Katie,on first rising in the morning, "Ok, Aunt Amanda, first I take my homeopathic, then I take my cholagogue, then after breakfast the N-Acetyl-Cysteine, then..." Wait a minute, she's only 7! And I hadn't had my coffee yet. However, I think that Annika at age 5 has her beat, with "anesthesiologist" (can I even spell it?) What amazing kids these liver kids are. I wonder if the medical staff realize how much little kids can learn?

5/03/2006 12:17 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

Love the song!
Made my day.
I hope it made yours too. :)
And yes, Disney should certainly contact Annika...she'd have the movie theaters full for weeks with her lines!

5/04/2006 7:53 AM  
Blogger Tara Marie said...

I just loved this thread Moreena....you have an amazing way of capturing 'normal conversations' and creating them into verse. Sending Sweet Annika hugs and kisses.

5/04/2006 1:40 PM  
Blogger That Deborah Girl said...

Rubber band thingy my eye. He got served!

So, how long until you get a puppy? ;)

5/04/2006 4:08 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I find that for the rest of us, the sing-along potential is quite low. But if you have a catchy melody, all will be forgiven.

5/04/2006 5:29 PM  
Anonymous Sheryl, Justice's mom said...

your daughter is just too precious. These kids and how much they understand amazes me.

I can't wait for the day when someone can ask you how things are and you can really, honestly just say GREAT!

5/05/2006 10:29 AM  
Blogger Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

great stories - all of them.

Annika's medical knowledge is amazing - I can imagine you wish she only knew the names of her dolls though.

And about the "I read your blog" friend - too funny!

I am new here. But I KNOW I will be back! (I read about your blog on Elle's blog)

I am Janice and it is so nice to meet you.

5/05/2006 3:08 PM  
Anonymous eczema said...

companies marketing mineral makeups and also get the best bargains in mineral makeup you can imagine,
find aout how to consolidate your students loans or just how to lower your actual rates.,
looking for breast enlargements? in Rochester,
homeopathy for eczema learn about it.,
Allergies, information about lipitor,
save big with great bargains in mineral makeup,

change edition interviewing motivational people preparing second
,

interviewing motivational people preparing second time
,

interviewing people motivational preparing for a second time
,

black mold exposure
,

black mold exposure symptoms
,

black mold symptoms of exposure
,

free job interview questions
,

free job interview answers
,

interview answers to get a job
,

lookfor hair styles for fine thin hair
,

search hair styles for fine thin hair
,

hair styles for fine thin hair
,

beach resort in the philippines
,

great beach resort in the philippines
,

luxury beach resort in the philippines
,
iron garden gates, here,
iron garden gates,
wrought iron garden gates
, here
,
wrought iron garden gates
,
You: The Owner's Manual: An Insider's Guide to the Body That Will Make You Healthier and Younger
,
answer from more much,
eat eating mindless more than think we we why
,
la times classified,
new york times classified


texturizer,
texturizers here,
black hair texturizer,
find aout how care curly hair,
find about how to care curly hair,
care curly hair,
lipitor rash,
lipitor reactions,
new house ventura california,
the house new houston tx,
new house washington dc,
new house washington dc,
new house ventura california,
the house new houston tx,
the house new houston tx, that you ar looking for,
new house ventura california, you need to buy,
new house washington dc,

hair surgery transplant
,

air filter allergy
,

refurbished dell laptop computers
,

hair surgery transplant
,

air filter allergy
,

refurbished dell laptop computers
,

hair surgery transplant
,

air filter allergy
,

refurbished dell laptop computers
,

chocolate esophagus heartburn study
,

chocolate esophagus heartburn study
be informed,

digestion healing healthy heartburn natural preventing way
,

digestion healing healthy heartburn natural preventing way
,


Allergies, lipitor rash,
alcohol rash,
lipitor and alcohol,
lipitor alcohol,

natural remedies to aid healing of esophagus
,

chicory heartburn
,

effectiveness of zocor vs. lipitor
,

chocolate esophagus
,
southwestern wrought iron yard gate,
exterior iron gates,
oriental wrought iron gates,
powder coated iron garden fencing,

12/22/2007 8:18 AM  
Anonymous hoof prints said...

black mold exposure,black mold symptoms of exposure,wrought iron garden gates,your next iron garden gates, here,hair styles for fine thin hair,search hair styles for fine thin hair,night vision binoculars,buy, night vision binoculars,lipitor reactions,lipitor reactions,luxury beach resort in the philippines,beach resort in the philippines,homeopathy for baby eczema.,homeopathy for baby eczema.,save big with great mineral makeup bargains,companies marketing mineral makeups,prodam iphone praha,Apple prodam iphone praha,iphone clone cect manual,manual for iphone clone cect,fero 52 binoculars night vision,fero 52 night vision,best night vision binoculars,buy, best night vision binoculars,computer programs to make photo albums,computer programs, make photo albums,free printable tax forms,printable tax forms, free here,craftmatic adjustable air bedcraftmatic adjustable air bed, info hereboyd night air bedboyd night air bed, low priceair bed in wisconsinbest air beds in wisconsincloud air inflatable bedbest cloud air inflatable bedsportable sealy air bedportables, sealy air bedsaluminum rv luggage racksaluminum made, rv luggage racksair bed form raisedbest air beds form raisedsupport equipments aircraftbest support equipments for aircraftsinformercials bed airbest, informercials bed airmattress sized air bedsbest mattress sized air bedantique doorknob identificationantique doorknob, identification tipstroubleshooting dvd playertroubleshooting with the dvd playerflat panel television lcd versus plasmaflat panel television, lcd versus plasma pic the bestcauses of economic recessionwhat are the causes of economic recessionbed air foam adjustablebed air adjustable foam hoof prints antique and unusual equestrian printshoof prints, antique equestrian printsbuy adjustable air bedbuy the best adjustable air bedsair bedscanadian storesair beds, cheap canadian stores

4/11/2008 5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home