One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

for one thing, I can never get my feet to match up

I suppose it was insanity to think I could maintain two different blogs. It appears all my time lately goes into The Other Blog. One problem I have is that I cannot simply post and let those puppies go. I have to go back and re-edit and add links and fix punctuation and do all those things that you're not supposed to do when you're blogging, because that kind of freedom from editorial obsession is exactly what makes blogging so great. So even when I'm just writing 5 posts per week, it turns out that they end up sucking up all sorts of time because I keep going back to the things, even long past the time anyone's likely to read them. Does anyone else do this? Surely I'm not alone in my crippling inability to leave well enough alone? I've always heard that writing frequent posts is a tried-and-true way to up your readership numbers; advice I blithely ignored on the theory that writing more frequently wouldn't be helpful if I had to resort to anecdotes about toenail clipping and other such fascinating activities in an effort to be more prolific. I mean, some people could make toenail clipping into some hilarious parable illustrating the Meaning of Life, but I'm pretty sure I'd just end up writing about, well, toenail clippings. And maybe also about how sad toenail clipping really is. But now either the blogosphere is just getting too big to keep up with frequent posters, or my Toenail Theory was spot on, because I am apparently getting fewer readers now that I post all the time. So maybe I should just roll this blog up into the ClubMom Blog Extravaganza? Would it make more sense just to have the one blog? Make the situation less complicated? Ease my guilt when I see that my last post was nearly a month ago, and really only contained a link to the other blog? So, anyway, here's something: we were finally sent a copy of the contract that the re-insurer has with our insurance company. We had requested a copy around the time of the whole insurance fiasco, just to convince ourselves that there really was some justification in black-and-white for our impending screwing. Not only was there no mention of using the date billed, rather than date of service, to determine our annual maximum, there was no mention of this "annual maximum" business at all. If you remember, it was the annual maximum (as opposed to a lifetime maximum) that left us ineligible for most government help programs (since she was still technically "insured," even though our insurance wouldn't pay). There is, however, an annual maximum clause listed in our contract with the insurance company (as opposed to the re-insurer). Did I mention that the annual maximum idea was new in the past year to our healthcare plan? Proposed after Annika entered the pool of insurees? (Things that make you go "hmmmmmm.") And even more you wonder what happens to people who don't have the resources to fight these decisions. We were extremely lucky that we had powerful people at Jörg's workplace pushing for our situation to be remedied. It's good to be out of the emergency situation, both with Anni's health and the insurance. It's too bad neither one of them has been fixed permanently. I can't believe that Annika could still slip between the cracks of our insurance system with just one PICU stay at the wrong time of the calendar year. And, of course, I still can't believe that Annika really needs to be transplanted, again. I really hope that the next presidential campaign includes lots of debate over the healthcare situation in this country. Then I would at least have something to blog indignantly about over in this space.

15 Comments:

Anonymous kathy a said...

(((( moreena )))))

two blogs is a lot, but i am really enjoying your blogging. we haven't met, but i've ended up caring a lot about you, anni, and your family.

the whole insurance thing blows my mind. it is enough that annika has faced so many challenges -- and so well, too -- who needs that extra angst?

xoxoxoxoo

7/11/2006 6:55 PM  
Blogger CLMama said...

Moreena, I love your blog. I actually read this one more often, but I will follow you wherever you end up. Just so long as your writing from the heart and your content isn't edited TOO much; that's what I love about THIS blog :). SO glad your kiddo is doing well!

7/11/2006 7:01 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

I read both. I'm happy for whatever you have to say, whenever and wherever you have to say it.

7/11/2006 9:05 PM  
Blogger liz said...

Big hugs to you! I love both blogs. I visit you at both.

7/11/2006 10:55 PM  
Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I think summer is a bad time to worry about readership numbers. People seem to have other things to do in the summer rather than sit in at their computers. I know. The nerve!

But in any event. I have total and complete faith that you could write a Meaning of Life post about toenail clippings.

7/11/2006 11:11 PM  
Anonymous Beanie Baby said...

I check both and am happy to see a new post wherever it ends up.

I'm not sure about readership and frequency either. I think This Womans' Work once pointed out that now that everyone (except me) is on bloglines, you don't need to post all the time to keep people coming back b/c new posts will be flagged whenever they show up.

Two blogs *is* a lot, I couldn't do it either.

7/12/2006 6:44 AM  
Blogger elswhere said...

Like everyone above, I love your writing wherever you post it. It seems like it would make sense to put most of your energy into the other blog, where you're getting (whee!) *paid*, while keeping this one as a backup for material that just doesn't seem to fit there either by your standards or ClubMom's. (Like the insurance rants, if they're touchy about that.)

Oh, and I totally have to suppress the urge to go back and edit my posts all the time. Some people seem to have the gift of spontenaiety, but my writing improves a LOT upon revision. But once a bunch of people have read and commented (or, who am I kidding-- a few people, even) I feel silly fixing it up, like I'm putting on my makeup *at the party*.

7/12/2006 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else--I read both and look forward to new posts wherever they pop up!

Norah

7/12/2006 8:41 PM  
Blogger Bettie Bookish said...

Re-editing: Dear God, yes.

There are things I wrote for publication - unalterable PRINT publication - ten years ago that I am still rewriting in my head.

And your blog(s) wherever and however numerous they may be will always be in my bookmarks

7/13/2006 12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't give to much about statistics - "falling down is also a gift" has, acc. to the comments, had quite a lot of readers even with occasionally very long and not always regularly posts...

I know that it's different with your new one, as you are under pressure to keep readers, but think your writing is so fabulous that maybe different rules apply.

Don't believe the 'only short and cheerful posts'-work statistic of ClubMom counts for you, either - but maybe you could keep "Falling down is also a gift" for whenever you feel you certainly don't want to edit 'yourself'?

Hope all works out. And mostly, of course, that Anni is doing fine.
Hannah

7/14/2006 3:15 AM  
Blogger tracey said...

I am right there with you. I honestly don't know how everyone keeps up so many blogs. I'm beginning to lose it personally.

And don't even tell me you're losing readership because I know better! ; )

I think you're fab here and there.

7/15/2006 2:43 AM  
Blogger ~Macarena~ said...

When I realized you can edit any post at any time, I wondered why people (not you!) leave the errors. Strangely, I don't feel like weeping.

I appreciate your diligence, and if I miss a day or more, I catch up. Also, when I like a blog that's new to me, I read old posts. One appears to be just from this year, so reading every post is a possibility.

7/20/2006 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Computer Repair Long Island said...

nicely written!! Good

5/28/2009 5:44 AM  
Blogger May said...

小產,雞精,性感,辣妹,雷射溶脂,雙下巴,抽脂,瘦小腹,微晶瓷,電波拉皮,淨膚雷射,清潔公司,居家清潔,牙周病,牙齒矯正,植牙,牙周病,矯正,植牙

12/04/2009 11:26 AM  
Blogger May said...

牙醫,植牙,矯正,矯正牙齒,皮膚科,痘痘,中醫,飛梭雷射,毛孔粗大,醫學美容,痘痘,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,網路行銷,自然排序,關鍵字行銷seo,部落格行銷,網路行銷,seo,關鍵字行銷,自然排序,部落格行銷,網路行銷,牛舌餅婚紗台中婚紗,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,腳臭,高雄婚紗,街舞

12/04/2009 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home