One day Anni was twirling and singing one of her original compositions.
"It's my gift!" she declared.
Dizzy, she fell with spectacular gracelessness.
Laying on her back on the tile floor she began flapping her arms and legs
as if she were making a snow angel.
"Falling down is also a gift!" says she.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

We don't use our air conditioner much in the summer, which might explain why every October we go on a treasure hunt collecting all the toys and stray socks that have taken up permanent residence under the sofa. I'm just too meltingly hot to go belly down on the floor, reaching for that toy that nobody has really missed, anyway, not to mention all those annoying magazine subscription cards that come fluttering out of The New Yorker 3 at a time with every issue. But as everyone is fond of saying around here, "It's not the heat. It's the humidity." About this time every summer, the house begins to take on a distinctly sponge-like atmosphere. This morning found me drinking my morning iced coffee (because I cannot take my caffeine hot at this point) and trying to finish up Life of Pi for book club when I heard Annika grunting. Looking up I saw her pounding her fist on the puzzle she'd been working on. It didn't take long for her to dissolve into a weeping fit of frustration, "It's not working! It just isn't working out right now!" Here is what I saw when I came to her rescue: Yes, our house is so humid that her puzzles have gone funky. So I sent her downstairs to the basement to gather up a new game, which led to more cries of frustration when she couldn't get the door to the playroom open. I had to go downstairs myself and kick the wetly swollen door open, a la Charlie's Angels. Time to turn on the AC? Or should we wait until our house absorbs enough moisture to expand our square footage by another 9 feet or so?

10 Comments:

Blogger Rev Dr Mom said...

Oy, here, too! Everything is ucky and damp to touch....and we don't have air-conditioning.

7/12/2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger tina said...

Definitely time to turn on the AC. With all that humidity, you could possibly end up with a mold problem. It does a number on my allergies too.

Do you have central heat and air? If so, there is a thingy you can have on the unit - it is called a hermidifier (hope I'm spelling that right - it is NOT a humidifer or dehumidifer - I'm spelling it like it sounds) and it takes moisture out of the air.

7/12/2006 2:04 PM  
Blogger liz said...

AC time. No doubt about it.

7/12/2006 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I REMEMBER my puzzles doing that 20-or-so years ago in the unairconditioned house of my childhood! If you have it, I say use it. The humidity is just too much sometimes. For puzzles AND people. :)

Norah

7/12/2006 8:43 PM  
Blogger Chana said...

we have heat but it's dry and now that i have just come back from the Caribbean i can appreciate the no humidity heat alot more than just before i left.

if you can afford it, turn on the a/c and enjoy your days better...

hope Anika is doing well.

7/12/2006 11:19 PM  
Anonymous Becca - Natalie's mommy said...

Yup, I'd say time for AC. Poor puzzle, did it stand a chance?

We use it [AC] all the time now, when the bear was on pred. she couldn't sweat and cool herself down. But the cost is a bit shocking. Since we spent most of last summer in the coolness of 6West we never turned our own AC on.

7/13/2006 8:43 AM  
Blogger jamie said...

Oh, I hear you. I tried to use the salt yestserday and the humidity had stuck it in he grinder in a big clomp. Of course, I gave up and turned on the air yesterday.

7/13/2006 11:51 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

I stalked you over to this blog from your great work at ClubMom, but I think it might have jinxed us. As I was basking in our lovely climate controlled bedroom and looking at your photos of warped puzzles, our air conditioner broke and it is ninety degrees in our house and 97.9% humidity. That's what we get for living in NC I guess, but here choosing to keep the air conditioner off is apparently not really an option.

7/13/2006 4:58 PM  
Blogger Moreena said...

OK, yes, we turned it on. And even though we still have the thermostat set at 80, it feels heavenly. Bless you, AC repair guy.

7/13/2006 10:10 PM  
Blogger Freudian Slip said...

There is no substitute for real coolness (not ac generated). Hurray! Fall is in full swing :)
Freudian Slip

11/27/2006 10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home